Toro recycler with 7hp Briggs hard to start

Lyndmc

Threads
I’m working on this Recycler 20334 with a 7hp Briggs, not an OHV engine. It usually starts pretty well on the rope, but not the typical 1 pull start. This mower has an electric start too. I usually will start on electric, but it cranks and cranks and cranks.

I’ve removed and cleaned the carb, I replaced the battery, I replaced the air cleaner, replaced the plug, I ran some Seafoam spray through the intake, I put Seafoam in the tank, and I changed the oil. None of this made it start easier. Based on videos that I’ve seen, the starter speed seems right, it just doesn’t light off like it should. The mower seems like it might have a mild, almost unnoticeable miss sometimes while not under load, yet it runs and cuts just fine. The only thing that hasn’t been touched is the coil and the valves.

Any suggestions?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust valves to specs. with engine cold.
post model, type, trim, & code #'s from your engine into website above for your engine parts & specs.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the units serial number. With it I will be able to identify which engine you have. With what you posted so far, I doubt it you have a coil or valve problem.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
"The mower seems like it might have a mild, almost unnoticeable miss sometimes while not under load,"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A vacuum leak can cause that . There is more vacuum at low speed . Check hoses , carb mounting etc .