toro mower18" starts easily but dies after a second, pull the ropes starts again

fitter30

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / toro mower18" starts easily but dies after a second, pull the ropes starts again
This mower is 28 years old been sitting for ever. Pull and cleaned carb with spray cleaner, replaced needle and seat,primer blub and spark plug. Replaced fuel line checked to make sure fuel filter inside tank was not gumed up an fuel flowed steady. This carb had no adjustment other than float. Ran a thin copper wire through all orifices.I'm at a loss thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / toro mower18" starts easily but dies after a second, pull the ropes starts again
Re: toro mower18" starts easily but dies after a second, pull the ropes starts again

Post engine manufacturer & all numbers. Check air filter for replacement.

DaveTN

Threads
Re: toro mower18" starts easily but dies after a second, pull the ropes starts again

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Check the choke, manually check the float to see if it works as I've seen new ones hang closed. What happens when you put say a half a teaspoon of gas into the carb and start it? It's been sitting something like 28 years and probably is some minor thing you've overlooked.

DaveTN

Threads

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Check the choke, manually check the float to see if it works as I've seen new ones hang closed. What happens when you put say a half a teaspoon of gas into the carb and start it? It's been sitting something like 28 years and probably is some minor thing you've overlooked.
Right air-fuel mixture, strong spark at right time, and compression. It should run.