Toro 5060

stevensinks

Threads
For the past few weeks I have been shopping for a zero turn mower. I have looked at the Country Clipper JAZee and JAZee Pro,the Hustler Sport, The Dixie Chopper Iron Eagle, the Gravely ZT and ZT XL, The Snapper 500Z, The Big Dog C series. All have 42 to 54 inch decks and most have Kawaski engines.
So here is my question. yesterday I came across a really good buy on a Toro SS5060. If I take care of it will this be a 10-15 year mower? Or will I be disapointed and end up needing to buy another mower in just a few years? Thanks Charlie

scott47429

Threads
Toro makes a great mower but it just depends on how you take care of it and how much yard your mowing if your at a acre to 2 it should be a great mower for you if your mowing more then you may want to look into a commercial mower but i don't think your going to be disappointed as long as its been taken good care of and has low hours

stevensinks

Threads
I forgot to tell you that I mow 7 lots about 1/2 of a city block.
Its a 2011 with 1 hr on it. It has a full 3 year warranty like a new mower. Depending on were you might buy one it is $800-$1100 off of new price.

Last edited:

scott47429

Threads
i know you may not want to take the jump in price but if I'm understanding you right your mowing 7 lots at a half acre each so thats 3.5 acres a week you may want to look at the starting point of the commercial mowers cAuse the 5060 is a residential mower but if you take good care of it keep up the service on it you may be ok

stevensinks

Threads
Thanks Scott. I had never figured out the acres on the lots so I did some checking. They are 150 X 40 so that puts it at just over 1 acre. With the buildings I would guess I mow about 2/3 of an acre.

You are right I really dont want get into the higher price units. But if thats what I need to do in order to get a mower that will be good for 10 or 15 years then thats what i will do. But if I dont need to I would rather not.

scott47429

Threads
if your going to be at 2 acres or under you will be fine with the toro 5060 i know commercial mowers are much more expensive but will last alot longer then a residential mower i like Toro there a great mower but ill say this about residential mowers is there lighter so if you have any hills to mow you will have to be careful they tend to want to not hold on a hill i had a brand new 2012 Husqvarna RZ 5426 ZTR and traded it for the commercial mower i have now the exmark In my profile pic and am much happier with it the reason i traded it was the Husqvarna didn't hold hills and it didn't have any traction check and see if your dealer will let you try it most dealers will let you i hope this helps you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say the types of lawns you are cutting. If the lots are fairly flat and smooth the 5060 may be OK for you, even though you have over 5 acres. Bouncing and slopes are the real killers.