Toro 30" mower destroying the mower drive belt

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's several tips in your mower manual. Like this one below.

• Brush or blow out debris from the inside of the shield and around all the parts.
  • Hold a 0.25 mm (0.010 inch) feeler gauge, a piece of paper, or a note card against the wall and slide it down behind the belt tension spring.
    Note: If there is a visible gap between the gauge and the spring, tighten the adjusting bolt and the nut until the paper barely slides freely in and out of the gap (Figure 36).

Another tip

• Important: Do not overtighten the adjusting bolt. This could damage the blade-drive belt.
  • Install the blade-drive system cover that you previously removed.

Maybe the above was not directly related. Just mentioning OP might find a resolution in the mower manual again.

Most likely something is not aligned proper, someone might of hit a 350 Chevy engine block with the mower or normal wear and tear (bearings).

Forest#2

Threads
sgkent asked in post #8"
so the first question is why did you replace the arbor? Was it for the same reason?

Next question:
Did the belt issue start AFTER YOU replaced the arbor?
Did you change any of the pulleys when you changed the arbor?

Did you carefully measure your old belt's length OD and compare it to the replacement belts size. (I see it's only a 30 inch belt)
A hint also is the blade starts turning before even being en-gauged

Also here is a fittament note from flea bay about belt replacement on those models at this link. I suspect you could test a cheaper grade of belt 1/2 inch longer as a test. (instead of the higher cost Kevlar that is burning)

Exmark 121-5765-SL V Belt Commercial Walk Behind S X Series 30-Inch 121-5765 193308002408 | eBay

30 inches long

Fitment can vary by sub model, serial number, and/or production date of your equipment. Please refer to the original owners manual in order to verify this is correct part for your machine

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please refer to the original owners manual in order to verify this is correct part for your machine
Oh no no no guy. People don't use manuals any more. Just like road maps. Things of the past. LOL

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Started the mower with the blade disengaged and it started chirping again and the blades turned and burned up the belt again.
So blades OFF, how did the belt get smoked? What did I miss?

Give it more slack at the cable adjuster.

a022mil

Threads
Check to see if any part of your frame is cracked, I had a husquavarna 38 inch riding lawn tractor that was eating the belts, 3 different belts, found out the frame had cracked, had to replace the whole frame, from then on it was ok.

Baymee

Threads
I will get back to this mower soon and check out your tips.

The engagement cable has no tension whatsoever. The brake block is fully against the drive pulley and the cable has slack.

Theoretically, the motor should run and the only contact with the belt would be with the motor pulley while the motor is running.

That's when it starts chirping after about a minute and the blades start turning, overcoming the brake block against the drive pulley

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like the belt is too tight or the wrong one. Or it is also possible the clutch isn't disengaging. Hence the belt is being told don't move, and you better move or else. It hemorrhages.To overcome the brake lock there would have to be lots of friction, right? At least that is my thought.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
sounds like the belt is too tight or the wrong one. Or it is also possible the clutch isn't disengaging. Hence the belt is being told don't move, and you better move or else. It hemorrhages.To overcome the brake lock there would have to be lots of friction, right? At least that is my thought.
Yep, wrong size belt is sounding very plausible to me.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up a video of the belt and all related parts. Love to see you turn some idlers and other bearings too.

Something simple is getting missed.