Toro 2cyl push mowers

Parkmower

Threads
For about the past month I've Been bringing these back to life after dragging them out of the surplus pile. They were outside for about the past 8 months.

They are toro commercial push mowers with 2cyl engines. I traced the model and serial numbers to find out they are from 1988 and 1991.

Had 8 of them and got 6 into good running condition. They still need new blades and a couple need a gas tank and air filter box to be installed this spring.
They are all cast aluminum.

Mainly had to clean carb, fuel filter, air filter, fuel lines, and a couple needed fly wheel keys.
Basically saved these from the scrapyard and put back into service. :)

Attachments

• image-1924137379.png
    image-1924137379.png
    267.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image-3394944488.png
    image-3394944488.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image-3561831766.png
    image-3561831766.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 26

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What kind of surplus pile was it, sure looks like a find to me. Why are they getting rit of them, maybe going to 4 cycle engines instead of 2 cycle?

Parkmower

Threads
Our facility's surplus. We need to run 2cyl cause we push mow alot of hills where the big machines can't go.they were taken out of service just cause they were starting to get old and we has new equient waiting to go into service. These didn't go into service til the late 90's and were taken out of service about 3 years ago. We've been using commercial lawn boys for past few years and everyone hates the staggered wheel. So we've had a slow winter and I decided to resurrect them. We have about six more lawn boys in boxes. And we'll keep these toros running so don't need to use the LBs. Unfortunately certain equipment is purchased in bulk then distributed and we have no say in what we get.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congratulations on a great job. Those are fine mowers and are certainly worth fixing. You can't buy anything close to that today.

I know what you mean about the gas tanks -- the mounts, actually. It's a weak point in the design.

Another design flaw, IMO, is the lack of a fuel cutoff valve (I'm assuming that your mowers are like the two that I have). I think it's worth the small expense and time to install cutoff valves and, when storing the machine for more than a couple weeks, to run the gas out of the carb after closing the valve. I think that procedure will reduce carb clogging -- and therefore save a lot of time.

Thanks for posting the pictures but could I convince you to take some better ones -- larger with better resolution? Please!

Parkmower

Threads
They do have fuel cut off valves on the bottom of the tank

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
They do have fuel cut off valves on the bottom of the tank

I guess mine are older (made in 1983 and 1987) -- I think not letting fuel seep into the carb over a prolonged period is good preventive maintenance. It just took Toro (or maybe Suzuki) a while to get it right. :laughing:

hanyoukimura

Threads
Sweet deal! I've just acquired my first Toro 2-cycle (RWD self-propelled) mower. So now I need to get acquainted with working on one..never worked on a 2-ycle before. How hard are parts (like carb gaskets and such) to get for these? Did you need to replace gaskets when you cleaned out the carbs? I'm sure I'll need to be doing that. Also what sort of Spark plug do they use?

If I can get it running, the mower is in pretty good shape for its age minus the worn rear tires. I'd like clean it up really good and repaint it.