Repairs Toro 22" transmission troubles

bileaux

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love taking things apart. Only 10% successful in getting them back together again.
FWD set-up on the Toro Recycler. Pull engagement lever and nothing happens other then loud chatter. Nearly impossible to mow lawn even pushing.
Took gear box (transmission??) off mower. Opened up and solid mass that I guess was gear oil or rear end grease. Cleaned pointed looking gear inside housing and the ring looking gear on the axle shaft. After cleaning just tried dry fitting and seems they may have been sheared to the point of not making good enough contact to drive mower. Probably should rebuild entire set up.
Need any advice on what you think is the problem and resources to purchase items needed.
Thanks in advance.
jg

rmancini

Threads
I have a TORO service manual on a PDF format if you're interested. If you want it, I can email it to you. Lache pas la patate
Rich

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should. Replace both the drive and bevel gears. Toro uses grease in these tranies. If you have it apart you are over 60% done. This is not a uncommon repair.

twinfords

Threads
actually just go on Ebay and buy the entire transmission, it is cheaper than buying the gears and beering needed and faster to change out as well. i have done it, it is a simple job.