Toro 22" Recycler with leaking gas tank - free replacement

fsagames

Threads
  • / Toro 22" Recycler with leaking gas tank - free replacement
I have a 2007 Toro 22" Model 20071 recycler mower. At then end of last season when I was just ready to mow a small area of lawn, I saw gas pouring out from somewhere like there was no tomorrow. Well, being the end of the season, I emptied the tank and put the mower in the barn with the idea that I would fix it this season. About a week ago I started poking around and realized that the fuel was leaking from the seam around the tank... poor design for a tank if you ask me. Anyway I searched the Internet and found several folks with the same issue. One of the guys said he contacted Certified Parts Corp, the company that took over for Tecumseh, and they replaced the tank as part of "service bulletin 506." I contacted the company, and they required a photo of the DOM tag (date of manufacture & model identifier) and a photo of the tank. I emailed that information and received a reply the next day that the tank is in the mail. It's really nice to find a company that just "does the right thing." The email address is tankshiper@gmail.com (yes, only one "p"). Don't bother contacting Toro. They won't admit to anything.

UPDATE: I received the new tank in the mail yesterday. The whole process took 5 days.

Last edited:

earthworm

Threads
IMO, a fuel tank should last at least 10 years, not 5.....
These things are made so cheaply today..
Toro ?
Do they actually exist as a responsible company anymore ??
Congrats are in order for your hard work in dealing with these companies...which renews faith in American manufacturers, to an extent.

fsagames

Threads
IMO, a fuel tank should last at least 10 years, not 5.....
These things are made so cheaply today..
Toro ?
Do they actually exist as a responsible company anymore ??
Congrats are in order for your hard work in dealing with these companies...which renews faith in American manufacturers, to an extent.

IMO the tank is poorly designed in the first place. Why put a seam in a tank that only holds about a quart or two of gas to start off with!!!

earthworm

Threads
IMO the tank is poorly designed in the first place. Why put a seam in a tank that only holds about a quart or two of gas to start off with!!!

As I see it, there is no other way; but I am a worker, not an engineer, nor an economist.. Note that a gallon container for water appears to be seamless.
Automotive tanks are ???
I last replaced a tank in the 70s, a steel two piece, IMO, automotive quarily is quite high.