Toro 22" recycler model 20331 Starts great but will not start when hot. need to wait 10 min

bmoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 22" recycler model 20331 Starts great but will not start when hot. need to wait 10 min
It will not stop if kept running but if I stop it to fill the gas it will not start right away. There is some surging when first started too. The thermostat works and was replaced. I cleaned the carb and bought a new Chinese carb(there are no OE ones) to no avail. I also put a filter in the gas line in case there was trash in the tank. Anybody have an idea? Bad luck with the little fuel passage exiting the front of the carb? Doubt coil because only stops when hot if I turn it off.
Thanks

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro 22" recycler model 20331 Starts great but will not start when hot. need to wait 10 min
I would try to figure out if the mixture was too rich or too lean. You can pull the spark plug(s), crank it over a few times or blow compressed air in the cylinder(s) then put the plugs back in and see what it does. If it is flooded that will help it. If it is flooded you need to figure out why it is flooding. If that does not help it then try a few drops of gasoline in the carb and see it that helps in case it is too lean.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you place the choke on? Put a red rag near the carb opening to create a choke effect on the carb? Something to make it run richer? And if so does the engine smooth out and run proper?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m willing to bet your coil has either a hot open or hot short. What does this mean. When running the coil stays just cool enough to stay running properly, but when you shut the engine down, residual heat warms the coil and a winding wire expands to either short to ground or separate. After cooling the winding wire contracts and engine will restart and run fine. Next time it happens check for spark, no spark, new coil.

bmoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
great advice all. Will pull plug when hot and ten see if I get spark. The choke is supposed to be open when hot. there is a thermostat. I could shoot carb cleaner(i do not have starting fluid) in to see if it will start. I could get a syringe and put a small amount of gas in carb. Cooling fins are very clean-blown with compressed air.

bmoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ran mower today to test while hot. Has some surging at first, less under load. Turned mower off. Would not restart. squirted about 0.3 cc of gas in carb and mower started. Turned mower off and would not start. This would not seem to be a coil problem. It seems to be a carb issue. The passage that may be problematic is the small hole visible at 4 o'clock from the main air entrance of the carb? Good ideas?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd explore the method that the carb gets fuel. Check for vacuum leaks which could expand when the engine is hot, and if the mixture is adjustable, tune it. Sounds like it is too lean if you can start it by squirting gas in it. That can be caused by any one of the issues above - including a loose head.

bmoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the original carb and blew out the passages with water and a dental syringe. The original has more flow to the hole mentioned above. I ran it and the turned it off. It started and I turned it off again and it restarted.