Toro 2 cycle snow blower

michtom

Threads
I have a toro ccr 3650 R-tec 6.5 that recently has been giving me trouble. Every once in a while on start up, it would rev out of control and I would have to shut it down. Now, when I am using it where there is a deep drift It will do the same thing. It will rev really high for probably 2-3 seconds before coming back to normal.

i have remove the carb and cleaned it. It seems the governor is working properly and I bent the arm the governor spring is attached to so it is stretched, but it didn’t help. Governor linkage not hanging up and no interference. The throttle plate moves freely. I’m afraid every time I start it something will let loose. Any idea would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have a toro ccr 3650 R-tec 6.5 that recently has been giving me trouble. Every once in a while on start up, it would rev out of control and I would have to shut it down. Now, when I am using it where there is a deep drift It will do the same thing. It will rev really high for probably 2-3 seconds before coming back to normal.

i have remove the carb and cleaned it. It seems the governor is working properly and I bent the arm the governor spring is attached to so it is stretched, but it didn’t help. Governor linkage not hanging up and no interference. The throttle plate moves freely. I’m afraid every time I start it something will let loose. Any idea would be appreciated.

If the governor is working properly most of the time, and will occasionally rev too high and you have to shut it down, then it sounds like something in linkage is binding up. When you operate Governor manually, does it feel smooth? Have you tried manually “overriding” the governor with machine running and revving too high? Take a good look at the cables, linkage, and springs and see if you see a potential problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also make sure the air vane is not binding on it pivot point or have trash block the air vane movement.

Air flow is critical on these engine.

michtom

Threads
Thank you for your time. Ok, so the linkage moves freely with the snow blower not running. When I start it up and it over revs, I quickly grasp the linkage and move it and can feel like it has a notch to overcome. Maybe I am imagining it, but I did this several times with the same results. I also noticed that there is some play in the throttle lever, where it can be moved up and down. Not sure that is normal? I’m thinking too that this is happening on restarts so, something to do with a hot engine?

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thank you for your time. Ok, so the linkage moves freely with the snow blower not running. When I start it up and it over revs, I quickly grasp the linkage and move it and can feel like it has a notch to overcome. Maybe I am imagining it, but I did this several times with the same results. I also noticed that there is some play in the throttle lever, where it can be moved up and down. Not sure that is normal? I’m thinking too that this is happening on restarts so, something to do with a hot engine?

You may have to pull the plastic outer snowblower cover, engine shroud, and really have a good look at things. Throttle lever having some slop in it with an older machine is not unusual. Something has got to be hanging up.

michtom

Threads
I tore it back down and rechecked everything, even lubricated the governor mechanism. Everything moves freely. This time when I started it, it was full choke and running normally. As soon as I took it down one notch on choke, it went to the over rev condition. I set full choke again and the rpm’s went down . I thought vacuum leak but, wouldn’t it run fast all of the time?

michtom

Threads
The arm where a spring is attached, to the throttle to was bent. In my mind it is backwards to how I thought it should work. Too much spring tension taking the governor out of the idle position. Somehow it was bent enough to cause trouble.