Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

orissa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys
I am back again with a little helpful snippet for the home Lawn guys

Several weeks ago, I was trolling through the Net looking at competitive Blades and general Lawn Mower stuff, when I came across this bit of what seems to be very useful information for the Garden Lawn.
I could not find the author but I give it to you guys to see if any of you have ever tried it and what your results have been.

Here Goes

If you were told that you could make your own lawn fertiliser using only 5 household products, what would you think? And, what if you were told that this home-made recipe was good enough to make your lawns really green, greener than the neighbours, in fact?

Now that I have your attention and you're tuned in, what if I went a step further and said that the recipe was developed by a former golf course greenkeeper? Would you be a little interested in at least finding out what the five ingredients were? Would you even consider trying the recipe and at least testing it on the neighbours patch of turf first? 哲otice they did not say on your patch

Well, the suspense is over as Paul from Wise Bread lifts the lid on a secret tonic that will help your grass grow during the spring growing season. Here's the recipe;

* One full can of regular soft drink (any kind-no diet soda)
* One full can of beer (no light beer)
1/2 Cup of Liquid dishwashing soap (do NOT use anti-bacterial dishwashing
liquid)
* 1/2 Cup of household ammonia
* 1/2 Cup of mouthwash (any brand)[/B]

Mix all this together in a hose-end sprayer and drench your lawn with it, applying
every 3 weeks or so when the daily high temperatures hit.

How does it work?

The liquid soap is a wetting agent, helping the formula to penetrate the roots.

The ammonia promotes growth and turns your lawn green.

The mouthwash does something you would never suspect mouthwash would do. It kills the bugs and grubs.
The soft drink is high in acid which invigorates new growth, and

The beer is full of natural acids that will promote root growth and should stabilize the soil

So you might be able to walk past the fertiliser aisle in your local store this season without being tempted by all the green advertisements, confident that your secret lawn fertiliser recipe is doing the job.

Enjoy orissa

outdoors Joe

Threads
I might try this. I was a little reluctant when I saw that soft drink was included. It sure would be nice to use those products, rather than using chemicals that we get from the stores.

Ross

Threads
It all sounds logical to me. But you know what they say, the proof is in the pudding. I've got a small patch of mostly unseen grass I'll try this on. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, how many square feet does this particular recipe cover?

173abn

Threads
orissa,I used to listen to this station on the radio and this guy named Jerry ? used to give that formula,never tried it but he swore by it. russ

Attachments

• Toro Turfmaster 005.jpg
    Toro Turfmaster 005.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 23

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
orissa,I used to listen to this station on the radio and this guy named Jerry ? russ

Hi russ ...
Now that you mention it ...
I think it was Jerry Baker... very fun radio program on gardening. :smile:KennyV

ted

Threads
Indeed it does sound logical however the only thing I would disagree is that not all of these in my home are found in the kitchen. It does sound like an interesting test though and I would have no issues trying it out, good find!

173abn

Threads
you got it Kenny,Jerry Baker.some times on the public T.V. channel pledge week he shows up with his "mixes"I think he might have a book or two also.real knowledgeable guy. russ

Michael

Threads
I will certainly try this, well water is a precious thing, & a nice lawn is not far behind. I will post in the repair section my formula for penatrating fluid.
Michael

stanley

Threads
imagine the look on the cashiers face when I tell her that the beer is for my yard:laughing: I don't drink beer, so that's the only thing on the list I don't have, but I'll certainly give it a try.

jhwentworth

Threads
Just a guess, but I'm thinking that this recipe, like other homemade lawn fertilizer recipes, might not save a lot of money.
Figure that the volume of liquid in the recipe might be enough to cover 500 square feet of lawn (remember that most of the beer and soft drink is water), and that you have a ス acre of lawn (22,000 square feet). You'll need 44 batches of the recipe, or 2 cases of beer, 2 cases of soft drinks, and better than a gallon each of liquid soap, mouthwash, and ammonia. Compare that cost to the price of two 50-pound bags of cheap, fast-release granular lawn fertilizer.

As for the "chemicals in the lawn fertilizer", take a look at the chemicals in the recipe's ingredients. The household ammonia ( ammonium hydroxide, or 5%-10% NH3 mixed with water) is providing the nitrogen in the recipe, and NH3 is considered caustic and hazardous. I would agree that great care should be used when applying lawn fertilizers containing various weed and bug killers, but a straight 20-10-10 fertilizer should be pretty safe.

Oops, I've put too many numbers in my reply, and now I need a beer to recover.