Tools needed

cjdave

Threads
I am wanting to learn about small engine repair. My background is some car repair, I have a lot of basic tools. But what specialized tools, just to get me started? I want to just get the basic that i need to get me started. Then work up to all the tools needed as i go along. And about how much money are we a talking about? And where is the best place to buy? Thanks for all the info David

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spark tester is probably the most important tool you will ever need.
Anybody that says they can check for spark without it are not doing it right.
Then there is dc shunts for checking charge, leak down tester for checking sealing capabilities of compression components.
Tachometers and ethanol fuel testers are handy as well.
Then there are tools for making the job easier like special sockets, carb screw drivers, starter motor tools etc.
Hope this helps.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the manufacturers have there own list of required tools that they supply or will have to order from other sources, like Amazon.com . The regulator/rectifier tester is a required tool for Kohler dealership now, can be adapted to work with briggs also. Something that may be required from Kohler in the future will be the computer program and cable for the EFI systems.

A vacuum/pressure gauge comes in handy for testing carb needle valve seating. Multimeter comes in real handy for testing electrical systems and is required when using the DC shunt from briggs and stratton. In/lb and Ft/lb torque wrenches

cjdave

Threads
Thanks for info, does anyone know about the basic price of some of these tools are? The kind of work i want to learn is to buy old mowers,stuff and fix them and then sell them, Not to open a business. Just back yard stuff and sell at cost just for a hobby. Thanks David