Tool Recommendation

Lawnranger

Threads
I'll start by addressing the moderator(s) on the forum. If you feel this thread does not belong here please move it to the proper forum. I was hoping to catch the eye of the majority and this forum seems to have the most visitors. Since this thread has to do with tools that repair small engines and mowers I was hoping it can stay here.

To the technicians out there I am seeking your opinion on a set of snap ring pliers. I already own a 5 piece internal/external reversing set made by Snap-On that I purchased over 30 years ago and they still work great. The issue is I need a second set for my field repair box and do not want to spend $200.00+. I also don't want a low quality set that bends or breaks. The overwhelming majority of my tools are made by Snap-On but I also own tools made by many other manufacturers including Harbor Freight. However the set of snap ring pliers from HF have a low rating so I'll pass on those. I'm too poor to buy cheap :laughing: and I'm willing to spend a fair amount for a good set of tools but I just can't bring myself to pay over $200.00 for a set of snap ring pliers.

So, knowing all this, I'd like to hear recommendations from the people who actually use snap ring pliers on a somewhat regular basis. What brand and/or set would you buy if you had to go out and purchase a set today? Including a link and/or tool number would be a big help.

Thank you in advance for your reply

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use craftsman, and they are made by the same company that makes the snap-on set.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have two sets one is OTC and the other is Blue Point ( Snap On). Both sets look alike to me other then the name.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
craftsman holds up pretty well

I was just looking at the craftsman snap ring pliers. It looks like they have the end tips that are removable for different sizes. That was the very first set I bought and it was junk. Beware get the set that uses non removable end tips.

Lawnranger

Threads
I was just looking at the craftsman snap ring pliers. It looks like they have the end tips that are removable for different sizes. That was the very first set I bought and it was junk. Beware get the set that uses non removable end tips.

I have never had good luck using snap ring pliers that have removable tips. So, as I already mentioned, I bought a set from Snap On 30 years ago and they still work great after countless uses.

Any other technicians out there have a recommendation?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have two sets also, Snap-On at the shop (solid ends) And Proto at home (also solid ends). Both have served me well, never replaced a single piece.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm pushing 70 yrs. now, most of my 4 toolboxes ( had to add metrics for the changeover ya know ) I purchased, when I first got in to wrench-bending.
Over the years they have served me well and they still do ..... "No Rust N No Dust", I bought many brands, Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman But I also "found some GREAT tools at local Swap-meets, Flea-Markets, & yard sales. Many times I bought " use for this task & throw away " at various stores ...
you can tell when you pick up a tool (usually) if its the right choice , just as many mech.s have that inner feeling when you know its tight ... and when you'll snap it off. Just for economics, if I can pay a few dollars for a tool that will let me do the job , I'm not going to spend 20 or more dollars for the same device or whatever, that will do the job. Usually I can get "good" quality tools at ( NorthernTool.com ) ,but they also have the "throw-aways I mentioned, you may have one close by. Biggest problem buying on line is you cant "feel" the tool & SHIPPING CHARGES ....... be aware of that !! Best wishes in your decisions,
One further thing......... take good care of your tools & they'll take good care of you . .......Boobala ...:thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree nothing worse than flimsy snap ring pliers. The HFrt stuff is cardboard, but $200 makes my eyes water.

Lawnranger

Threads
Agree nothing worse than flimsy snap ring pliers. The HFrt stuff is cardboard, but $200 makes my eyes water.

Knowing all this, what brand do you own?

And, if you had to go out and buy a set today, what would you buy?