To purchase a new Honda HRC216HXA before they're permanently not available?

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / To purchase a new Honda HRC216HXA before they're permanently not available?
This is old news to many folks here but new news to me that Honda has made the decision to stop making lawn mowers in N. America.

I currently own two cherry examples of Honda's older "master series" mowers. One HR195 (3 speed) and one HR215HMA (hydrostat/electric start). Both are bordering 8.5/10 condition and I'm the second owner for both units but have owned them more than 10 years with little fail aside from needing to clean carbs when I neglected the fuel. I don't own a large property that takes me hours to mow. Typical urban sized postage stamp property.
I've always loved mowing grass, have always owned 2 mowers b/c I like rotating between the 2 depending on my mood and what cut I'm doing.

My question is: Am I insane for wanting to buy a new HRC216 to basically have a 3rd mower sitting in my garage for the sake of being able to own a new piece of engineering marvel history? I'd absolutely use it and I've never used a GXV160 equipped mower. The commercial HRC would be added to my stable and I would not be interested in selling my older master series mowers. Not remotely interested in buying an electric/battery mower and I doubt Honda will introduce one anytime soon. I doubt that my existing mowers would ever fail me but one day in the very far future I would want to hand down a mower to each kid (if gasoline power equipment is even allowed by the time they own their own home). Honda makes some of the best mowers available and it truly saddens me that they've existing this business that has been a mainstay for them for the last 40 years+ years. I've always wanted to own a new Honda mower but just could never justify the steep price tag when buying lightly used was the best value. Buying a used commercial mower is out of the question - they take too much abuse and are run far too long without maintenance (from what I've seen) to shy me away and I'd rather buy once and cry once for this specific model.

Cost of the HRC216 is steep at $1730 CAD plus taxes so not a small sum of money. I can swing it but the bigger question is am I gaining much on a commercial unit over my ultra premium aluminum decked master series units - back in the day a lot of the commercial lawn mowers bought the honda master's line b/c it was built almost as tough as the commercial units. The only difference was the bigger GXV160 motor and steel deck and ball bearing wheels on all 4 corners.

Looking forward to some feedback and hello from a new member.

Oddjob

Threads
This is old news to many folks here but new news to me that Honda has made the decision to stop making lawn mowers in N. America.

I currently own two cherry examples of Honda's older "master series" mowers. One HR195 (3 speed) and one HR215HMA (hydrostat/electric start). Both are bordering 8.5/10 condition and I'm the second owner for both units but have owned them more than 10 years with little fail aside from needing to clean carbs when I neglected the fuel. I don't own a large property that takes me hours to mow. Typical urban sized postage stamp property.
I've always loved mowing grass, have always owned 2 mowers b/c I like rotating between the 2 depending on my mood and what cut I'm doing.

My question is: Am I insane for wanting to buy a new HRC216 to basically have a 3rd mower sitting in my garage for the sake of being able to own a new piece of engineering marvel history? I'd absolutely use it and I've never used a GXV160 equipped mower. The commercial HRC would be added to my stable and I would not be interested in selling my older master series mowers. Not remotely interested in buying an electric/battery mower and I doubt Honda will introduce one anytime soon. I doubt that my existing mowers would ever fail me but one day in the very far future I would want to hand down a mower to each kid (if gasoline power equipment is even allowed by the time they own their own home). Honda makes some of the best mowers available and it truly saddens me that they've existing this business that has been a mainstay for them for the last 40 years+ years. I've always wanted to own a new Honda mower but just could never justify the steep price tag when buying lightly used was the best value. Buying a used commercial mower is out of the question - they take too much abuse and are run far too long without maintenance (from what I've seen) to shy me away and I'd rather buy once and cry once for this specific model.

Cost of the HRC216 is steep at $1730 CAD plus taxes so not a small sum of money. I can swing it but the bigger question is am I gaining much on a commercial unit over my ultra premium aluminum decked master series units - back in the day a lot of the commercial lawn mowers bought the honda master's line b/c it was built almost as tough as the commercial units. The only difference was the bigger GXV160 motor and steel deck and ball bearing wheels on all 4 corners.

Looking forward to some feedback and hello from a new member.
I own an HRC216HXA. It is a beautiful machine but it is very heavy and if you don’t want to bag, you need the mulching kit (plug) which is not available. I always have an assortment of mowers to choose from but I almost always go with my 1983 Toro 20672. If you can get to North Carolina, I can make you a very good deal on an almost new HRC216.

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
strange I thought i had replied to your response days ago but I don't see it here. I'm not worried about the weight as my master series HR215HMA is already 111 lbs so the HRC is just another 12 lbs heavier than that. I went to the dealer to look at one and holy moly.... nice machine BUT the fit and finish isn't as nice as my early 2000's masters aluminum deck mower. Even the drive bale/rotostop control are evidently a tad bit thinner steel but the handlebars were legitimately beefier with ZERO play in them b/c of the added handlebar supports. I would've bought it on the spot if it wasn't for the fact that I have some big expensive coming up this spring. I will go back around May to see and then likely buy one then. I would totally come pick yours up but alas I'm literally 1000's of miles away from you up in Canada.