Tire Pressure ?

beretta22

Threads
What’s the recommended tire pressure for a ZTX5 54”? Not in the manual.

Last edited:

beretta22

Threads
I called Cub and they recommend 28 front and 20 rear (sidewall #’s). They aren’t much help either. I put 25 front 15 rear. Also trying to find the weight of the mower with no luck. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wait, you are asking this question on a Sunday? You called Cub and you didn’t like their answer, so you asked the same question here and didn’t like the answer. Then you did your own thing and now year want to know the unit’s weight? Your luck ran out with me also.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here I prefer to put 15 PSI in the fronts and 10 PSI in the rears. Too pressure in either one makes them into gut and back busters. And those that comes in with foam fill tires.

beretta22

Threads
Wait, you are asking this question on a Sunday? You called Cub and you didn’t like their answer, so you asked the same question here and didn’t like the answer. Then you did your own thing and now year want to know the unit’s weight? Your luck ran out with me also.
I’m sorry didn’t mean to offend you. I called Cub the other day. It wasn’t that I didn’t like their answer. Most manuals list their own recommended tire pressures and not state what’s recommended on the sidewall. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear, wasn’t insinuating that you were not a help, just poor wording on my part. Your recommendation is right at what I have now. Just looking for what others are doing. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:

BellevilleMXZ

Threads
While I run a ZTS2 54, I have found best pressure for me to be 14 front, 10 rear. Manual says go by sidewall, and thats what was when I picked it up. The ride was AWFUL, and I was wondering on my purchase. Once read a bit around, I dropped pressures close to above. MUCH better ride.

beretta22

Threads
While I run a ZTS2 54, I have found best pressure for me to be 14 front, 10 rear. Manual says go by sidewall, and thats what was when I picked it up. The ride was AWFUL, and I was wondering on my purchase. Once read a bit around, I dropped pressures close to above. MUCH better ride.
The ride was what I noticed with mine, too. I will do some more adjusting. Been used to a JD, and, this ZTX5 is very different.

Cajun power

Threads
I take the pressure rating on the tire and I remove 3 psi. I like a comfortable ride. It helps. (also helps in those soggy days when its not possible to skip mowing...underinflation helps a little to prevent those deep "sharp" grooves in soggy soil/lawn. On the "mini bush hog" (a vintage dixie chopper silver eagle), I installed no flat solid rubber front tires. Never have to deal with a flat and they have lasted now for almost 7 years with little wear....(i use the dixie for seriously heavy bush mowing...no other machine matches it's short blade power! (48 inch deck of death, powered with a 27 HP generac engine!)

go with the tire rating.

SamB

Threads
I take the pressure rating on the tire and I remove 3 psi. I like a comfortable ride. It helps. (also helps in those soggy days when its not possible to skip mowing...underinflation helps a little to prevent those deep "sharp" grooves in soggy soil/lawn. On the "mini bush hog" (a vintage dixie chopper silver eagle), I installed no flat solid rubber front tires. Never have to deal with a flat and they have lasted now for almost 7 years with little wear....(i use the dixie for seriously heavy bush mowing...no other machine matches it's short blade power! (48 inch deck of death, powered with a 27 HP generac engine!)

go with the tire rating.
My ztr manual says 15 psi rear, 20 psi front. Sidewall numbers are what the tire will withstand without exploding, not what works best for the mower the tire is on. Compare your door sticker on your vehicle to your tire sidewall. They will not be the same.