Timemaster 30 - 2019 model year - hunting like crazy

mpavia42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there! I’ve been having an issue with my toro timemaster 30 that I just can’t figure out. It’s hunting and popping when hot. No decrease in performance when running, but when idle it’s just constantly hunting and backfiring. Changed the spark plug, fuel filter, only use good gas, took the carb off and did the best I can to clean it - no change. Any ideas?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hi there! I’ve been having an issue with my toro timemaster 30 that I just can’t figure out. It’s hunting and popping when hot. No decrease in performance when running, but when idle it’s just constantly hunting and backfiring. Changed the spark plug, fuel filter, only use good gas, took the carb off and did the best I can to clean it - no change. Any ideas?
Sounds like pilot (idle) jet is blocked, or possible intake air leak. Remove carburetor, completely take apart, thoroughly clean, replace.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Flush out the fuel tank and install new filter and hose. Solid fuel flow AT carb inlet. Drain tank into a glass jar for verification.

Buy a cheap hot plate electric burner and a cheap pot. Strip the carb down separating all plastic/rubber parts out. Boil the carb with pH neutral soap and water for 45 minutes. Dawn is alkaline so don't use it. It will oxidize the aluminum body. Forget the ultrasonic cleaners. Waste of time and money. By the time the water gets hot it is shutting off LOL. Blow carb out with compressed air. Make sure jets are open with fishing line or smaller than hole bread tie wire with the plastic stripped off the wire.

1686479629370.png

mpavia42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Flush out the fuel tank and install new filter and hose. Solid fuel flow AT carb inlet. Drain tank into a glass jar for verification.

Buy a cheap hot plate electric burner and a cheap pot. Strip the carb down separating all plastic/rubber parts out. Boil the carb with pH neutral soap and water for 45 minutes. Dawn is alkaline so don't use it. It will oxidize the aluminum body. Forget the ultrasonic cleaners. Waste of time and money. By the time the water gets hot it is shutting off LOL. Blow carb out with compressed air. Make sure jets are open with fishing line or smaller than hole bread tie wire with the plastic stripped off the wire.

View attachment 64995
Yes that's the last thing I did - all clean. Which one is the idle jet? When I took the carb off I thought I hit every hole. And thanks for the tips! Is there anything else it could be? Fuel filter shows full of fuel so I doubt it's a line restriction.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes that's the last thing I did - all clean. Which one is the idle jet? When I took the carb off I thought I hit every hole. And thanks for the tips! Is there anything else it could be? Fuel filter shows full of fuel so I doubt it's a line restriction.
Only thing a full filter means is that it is full. Flowing fuel is totally unknown. Old Jeep story. Had a horizontal hard line get plugged up with 40 years of dirt and a poor gas cap. My filter was full. Even would squirt out of the accelerator pump into the carb venturies. Though I had fuel??? Engine would starve out on the highway. Checked for flow and found a dirt plug in that hard line. Once flowing she ran great again.

Make sure you have a solid flow AT the carb inlet.

mpavia42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Only thing a full filter means is that it is full. Flowing fuel is totally unknown. Old Jeep story. Had a horizontal hard line get plugged up with 40 years of dirt and a poor gas cap. My filter was full. Even would squirt out of the accelerator pump into the carb venturies. Though I had fuel??? Engine would starve out on the highway. Checked for flow and found a dirt plug in that hard line. Once flowing she ran great again.

Make sure you have a solid flow AT the carb inlet.
Good point - will pull that hose off and see.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double check the float level. Prime cause of lean mixture on Briggs carbs.

mpavia42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update - seems it was blocked fuel flow, pulled the line off and ran a wire through the fuel tank outlet. Didn't really see anything, but problem gone. Will take the time to remove tank and flush it out. Probably a bug fell in there or something. Thanks everyone for your help!