Timecutter 4235 front tires

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My favorite is when folks bring me a mower with a crap ton of sealer in the tires and now the tires are so bad the tires have to be replaced and now I have to clean up the mess and deal with the rusted rims. Then they question what I want to charge to fit new tires. Let's see, clean up the mess the sealer made. Wire brush all the rust off the rim. Sand the bead seat smooth. Paint the rim. THEN mount the tire. Takes about an hour so $40 a wheel PLUS the cost of the tire. Just fitting new tires would have been cheaper than the sealer route.

packardv8

Threads
My favorite is when folks bring me a mower with a crap ton of sealer in the tires and now the tires are so bad the tires have to be replaced and now I have to clean up the mess and deal with the rusted rims. Then they question what I want to charge to fit new tires. Let's see, clean up the mess the sealer made. Wire brush all the rust off the rim. Sand the bead seat smooth. Paint the rim. THEN mount the tire. Takes about an hour so $40 a wheel PLUS the cost of the tire. Just fitting new tires would have been cheaper than the sealer route.
For true. I'll never install that cat-piss in anything ever again.

Same but different, I spent two days chiseling, soaking, rodding out the coolant passages in a Packard V8 block after someone years past had filled the radiator with an unknown witches brew to stop a leak.

jack vines

packardv8

Threads
As Einstein said, "One definition of idiocy is continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

That's why I don't want to spend $30 apiece for Cheng Shin tires which we know to be failure-prone.

Are there any tires which you know from personal experience to last longer than the Cheng Shin?

jack vines

Edit - "A man's got to know his limitations."

Following hours of searching, including flat-free, I gave up and ordered a pair of Cheng Shin. Every other option, including flat-free, cost twice as much or in the case of inner tubes, was likely to be too difficult, or wasn't a direct replacement.

I'm going to try wiping down the new tires with ArmorAll inside and out (outside regularly) to learn if that in fact offers any protection against UV degredation of the sidewalls.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
As Einstein said, "One definition of idiocy is continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

That's why I don't want to spend $30 apiece for Cheng Shin tires which we know to be failure-prone.

Are there any tires which you know from personal experience to last longer than the Cheng Shin?

jack vines

Edit - "A man's got to know his limitations."

Following hours of searching, including flat-free, I gave up and ordered a pair of Cheng Shin. Every other option, including flat-free, cost twice as much or in the case of inner tubes, was likely to be too difficult, or wasn't a direct replacement.

I'm going to try wiping down the new tires with ArmorAll inside and out (outside regularly) to learn if that in fact offers any protection against UV degredation of the sidewalls.
Armor All won’t help that much. If you are storing the mower outside and the sun is beating down on it all day, the tires will suffer long term, as a result.

packardv8

Threads
Thanks. The mower is stored inside most of the year, but it has occasionally sat outside for some of the summer.

jack vines