time to replace hand mower, need input

Ida-Boy

Threads
I have used my Honda SXA mower for close to 22 years and yesterday it started leaking oil while running. I did finish my front ditch and noticed that she continued to leak oil after I put it back into the garage so I question the cost of repair with her age.

ANYWAY, I have 2 plus acres that I mow with a ZTR mower and use the hand mower mainly to trim around trees, bushes, etc and mow the ditch. I also like and have use the height adjustment on the hand mower to cut the edge of the landscape and driveway, lowering one side of the mower closest to the drive (concrete). I have always had gripes with the rear discharge, seldom bag and don't even say the word mulch to me, I live in a rural area.

I am searching online now and see that the Toro Personal Pace mowers are hard to pull backwards and this may not work well for me because I trim around pine trees and bushes. My SXA Honda was a commercial mower that set me back close to $900 some times back and she has been worth it giving me 20 plus years service. It's hard to move to another mower without trying one first so I thought I would post here for some insight...

I firmly trust Honda engines and my father had a Toro which was another long time friend for him, it's my cutting style and what may suit me best is what I am having trouble with.

jimrs

Threads
On self propelled mowers that I have owned I have had the problem of hard to back up. Most of them were of high quality Honda, Snapper, Cub, and the best of them was a Kubota. Kubota will not sell walk behind mowers here in the states anymore. But the problem with most is when you release the self propelled mowers handle the wheels stay locked in forward. I found that if you release the handle just a bit earlier and push the extra inches then pull back on the mower it will back up just fine. I have never used the Toro but I'm sure that if you talk to the salesman he could arrange a trial for you. I hope this helps you to make a better choice. By the way the Honda was the worst of all until I figured this out.