Time to make some money on junk mowers

mmanter

Threads
So over the past year I've been trying to both find a mower to cut my lawn with, and fix some broken mowers in my garage to sell. While it's closer to the end of the season I may have finally come across some good luck. I've been sitting on 4 mowers that have been fighting me bigtime to get fixed. 3 are similar model craftsman and one is a yardmachines. All are self propelled. 2 Craftsmans are 6.5 hp, and 1 6.75 hp. The yard machine is a 4.5hp. One Craftsman has an oil leak underneath but runs like a champ. After trying to figure out how to fix it I've found out it has a bad oil seal. I paid $40 for it plus the 6.75hp Craftsman. Once I get the oil seal replaced I'm gonna reshine it and sell it for a potential profit. I've lucked out with how it runs, even in 2 foot tall grass.

the 6.75hp Craftsman has been an interesting beast. When I bought it the thing didn't run but looked in good shape. It originally came with the screwy Vector engine so I replaced the carb but no go. Found another Craftsman 6.75 hp on Craigslist for $20 with a bad flywheel key but the conventional carb set up so I bought it for the e ngine since it wasn't self propelled. No dice. Replaced the flywheel key but it knocked & wouldn't stay running. That engine is now sitting without the head since I wanted to see if it had a bent valve or something. That one has been sitting in the garage ever since. Intending to replace the engine I kept the broke mower in the garage. Well, yesterday I found another Craftsman mower for $15 on Craigslist.

The mower with the replacement engine looks in sad shape but overall seems decent. it's also a self propelled mower but two of four wheels are bad, self propelled unit is long gone, missing top cover, incorrectly installed recoil, and a couple cracks in the body. Interesting thing is it has an electric key start. Sad to say the charger is long gone so I don't know if it works. I plan on taking the engine & transplanting it on the other Craftsman deck since it's in good shape. Once I get it changed over that mower should bring a good amount of money since not only will it have self propelled but also have a bagger with it.

The 3rd Craftsman is another 6.5hp similar to the 1st 6.5hp mower mentioned. I paid $15 for this unit non running after sitting outside for a while. The recoil had a broken handle so I replaced it and when I removed the carb which was rather nasty. I cleaned it up and the mower fired up. Noticed it was running fast due to a spring that got stretched. I plan on using the spring off the junk engine since it has the same carb to fix that problem. the self propelled unit also needs some work, as it worked last year but this year isn't turning when I flip the handle. It was froze previously so I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Once I get it fixed I should be able to sell it for a good amt.

Last mower is a 4.5hp Yard Machines. This one is a little perplexing. New plug, and in very good shape but has a starting issue. Until it's warmed up it won't start without the primer. Once up to temp it runs pretty well, although a little weak. I'm gonna pull the carb & clean it to see if that helps. The mower also had an issue with the self propelled unit. When I bought it the mower had been missing one drive gear, and the other off. I got replacement gears and it helped but unless the self propelled unit is used it is hard to push. I will see what happens with it.

Hopefully I will be able to get all four going and to good homes so I will have some cash in my pocket, and also get them to people that need a good mower without spending big money. When I get a moment I'll have some pics of the mowers as they currently sit & after they are all ready to sell.

mmanter

Threads
The Yard Machines is pretty much fixed. Originally I said it was a 4.5 HP but found out it's actually only a 4 hp. Problem it had was it was not easy to push unless the self propel unit was engaged, and didn't go very well with it on. Originally I was going to pull the engine and put it on a craftsman deck I had sit around. Issue after issue getting the handle and other parts working made me think. how to fix it. so I removed the plastic cover and turns out it was a strange set up.Removed the self propelled unit, and grabbed some wheel adjusters I had from a regular Bolens that had not only a bent crank but broken deck. It worked pretty well. Now I'm polishing the deck, replacing the blade that had a slight bend, and getting the rest clean for selling. I don't have much invested in this mower, and will probably ask $40 for it, after I change the oil. It has a new spark plug and air filter already.