Repairs time to junk this thing??

travelman401

Forum Newbie
Threads
have a JD SST18 zero turn lawn tractor made in 2001 the transmission pulley has wallowed out taking the splined output shaft with it, the JD dealer wants 12 to 15 hours labor to pull trans and replace spline shaft plus parts or order new hydro trans for $2249.00 plus labor or recommened ordering new spline pulley and weld onto shaft. question anyone been down this road welding a pulley to a transmission output shaft?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
question anyone been down this road welding a pulley to a transmission output shaft?
It is Not a good idea to weld anything to a shaft... makes for the Last thing that can ever be done to the shaft...
If you can control the heat and not ruin the shaft seal, it "could" work... It will also have to be a Good weld to hold up... Not sure I would want to do such a thing. :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
I agree with Kenny, welding a pulley to the shaft could have negative results, one you cannot back out of. I guess if it the last step before replacing the tractor it could be worth a try.

benski

Threads
It is Not a good idea to weld anything to a shaft... makes for the Last thing that can ever be done to the shaft...
If you can control the heat and not ruin the shaft seal, it "could" work... It will also have to be a Good weld to hold up... Not sure I would want to do such a thing. :smile:KennyV

Welding on a shaft is indeed a last resort. I've seen it done several times (not by me) and wince every time I watch.:eek:

PJ

Threads
have a JD SST18 zero turn lawn tractor made in 2001 the transmission pulley has wallowed out taking the splined output shaft with it, the JD dealer wants 12 to 15 hours labor to pull trans and replace spline shaft plus parts or order new hydro trans for $2249.00 plus labor or recommened ordering new spline pulley and weld onto shaft. question anyone been down this road welding a pulley to a shaft

Hi
Welding will be not an option repair with OEM parts. I would callange the dealer 12 to 15 hours sounds harsch I do not no what is the hourly rate its the total that matters. Normaly they sould have a flat rate for standerd tasks

Regards
PJ

pile81

Threads
K 12 to 15 hours is insanely stupid! MST on removing that is like 2 hours....to replace that pump shaft would take oh about an hour then about 2 to get it buttoned back up.......what state are you in

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
No actual experience welding a pulley but I wouldn't be spending much on a 11 year old mower. So to the welding shop I'd go being careful to take rim and face run out readings of the pulley after a tack and before the final weld.

PJ

Threads
No actual experience welding a pulley but I wouldn't be spending much on a 11 year old mower. So to the welding shop I'd go being careful to take rim and face run out readings of the pulley after a tack and before the final weld.

My friend
If you want to do go ahead. I can name a lot of disadvantages to discurrage you from going ahead but you seemed to make up your mind. Your next repair would probably be more than 15 hrs labour
Reagards and complimts of the season to you
PJ