Tiger Cub - deck belt size. Keeps breaking

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the tips - some troubleshooting over the weekend required.
It is probably the clutch end as all the spindles, pulleys and idler pulleys have been replaced on the deck.

When the belt snapped - I tried turning the clutch pulley and there was quite a bit of resistance. Is this normal ?

You sound like you are disregarding the possibilility that it is spindles, pulleys and idler pulleys because they have been replaced.

There could be one installed wrong...I would recheck them.

What about belt routing?

jetty

Threads
I have spent the past day replacing all spindles and pulleys and replaced an idler pulley.
Brand new belt as well for good luck!
Same problem - 40 minutes in and this is the belt.

IMG_4860.JPG IMG_4861.jpg IMG_4862.JPG

I'm at a complete loss now - new pulleys, spindles, belts, adjusted the PTO, checked the PTO. Belt runs great along the spindles and pulleys.
Either I'm hitting a limit on these Continental belts or the belt is the wrong size. Continental measure their belts by datum which is 147.6" - wondering if Scag measure the inside length instead ?

SPB wedge V Belt
Datum length is 147.6"
Inside length is 145"
Outside length is 148.5"

Any further suggestions before I push the thing off a cliff?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
V belts have 4 dimensions.
Length
Width
depth
angle
The original part number is for a 148.375" x 21/32" 40 deg belt 6 strand kevlar chord with cotton cover.
That is USA measurements which are outside length.
A belt 1" shorter over that length would cause it to be a little tight and knock a small amount of time ~ 10% off its service life.

Your pickies are nice but there is no refference point so it is impossible to work out which side we are looking at.
The cover has a definate cut look to it on 2 images and unraveling on the first with no signs of wear unless we are looking at the back of the belt.
There is no signs of abrasion adjacent to the cut which rules out rubbing against something like a steel edge or a bolt.

Did this one roll over and invert as well ?

jetty

Threads
Sorry those are cuts to the inside of the belt.
Just had it running - checked all over just in case it was catching something.....nothing, all clear.

I'm going to run it now for a couple hours and see how the belt holds up.

This belt hasn't rolled - runs nice and smooth, just seems to be disintegrating at a rapid pace!

All I can think of is that these Continental belts aren't up to the job. Which manufacturer do you guys use ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking everywhere I could for info on the belt you have purchased. It is metric not SAE. IT is not wide enough and the angle is not correct. I would bet that this is a belt only problem and your first problem has been fixed with you buying everything new. Find a belt that is (quoting bert) "148.375" x 21/32" 40 deg belt 6 strand kevlar chord with cotton cover.". 21/32" 40 deg is the most important part of the equation.