Tiger Cat oil change

Sonders

Threads
Not time for it yet but as I was looking my mower over the other night it got me to thinking. The Kaw FX730 has a nice and easy oil quick drain line on back side of engine. However the filter is on front side with no drain hole nearby. My question is how the hell are you supposed to change the filter without making a mess?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A big problem for me.
I have a dozen different oil drain pans cut out of the bottom of old oil bottles so they can slip under the oil filter.
Seems every time I do new mower I have to make a new pan.
Some actually hold the 6 to 10 oz of oil while others are just a big flat funnel to divert the oil away from the mower.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are no holes in the engine deck directly under the oil filter on Scag Tiger Cubs/Cats.
First I place two somewhat rolled paper shop towels around the clutch, you don't want any oil getting on the clutch!!!
I use a large diameter but shallow drain pan and place it under the holes that are in the engine deck and forward under the edge of the engine deck.
I place another folded paper shop towel under the oil filter and as I remove the filter I catch some of the oil on the towel and get the filter out of the way quickly and drop it into a second pan that I have nearby.
Let the oil on the engine deck drip into the pan under the machine and then wipe up the oil on the top and bottom of the engine deck.
Your Kawi may have drip catcher bolted to the engine under the oil filter and if so, you may be able to find a plastic container that you can modify to fit under the drip catcher, but you will need to be able to remove it without spilling the oil!!!
Make sure that you remove the towels around the clutch before you run the engine!!!
There are a couple machines I service that no matter what, they make a mess when removing the oil filter. On these machines, I punch a hole in the filter with an ice pic at the 12 o'clock position, turn the filter 1/2 turn and punch another hole in the filter. I catch the oil in a container and let the filter drain for a few minutes, this will remove most of the oil in the filter and then I remove the filter holding a towel under it as I turn and remove it.
I use an oil withdrawal system that sucks he oil out of the engine thru a tube and hose that is placed down into the dipstick tube. Most engines have been designed to have oil withdrawn out this way and there is a dip in the area of the oil base of the engine under the dip stick tube so the withdrawal tube will remove 95% of the oil.
I like bertsmobile1, have about 20 different modified containers and funnels that are used to catch the oil when removing an oil filter and add oil with spilling.
Have fun!!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my Hustler X-ONE/Kawi FX730V I use Kawi oil filters, the last four numbers are 7007. This is the short filter. Kawi makes a longer filter, but most machines don't have enough room for it and it holds more oil than the short filter thus will drip more oil when removed.
The X-ONE has the engine turned 90 degrees clockwise compared to a Tiger Cat. It is the easiest machine to change oil and filter on that I have ever changed.
The hydraulic filter on a Tiger Cat is easy to replace whereas the X-ONE has the hydraulic filter installed in the side of the reservoir, you just can't have it all no matter what!!!! :smile:

Last edited:

Sonders

Threads
I like your idea Mackie of punching hole in filter and then turning it to drain some of the oil out of the filter first. I'll have to remember that one. Then try to rig up some catch pans.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always have a lot of shop rags. When ever we go to a cheap clothing sale my wife buys a lot of left overs that no one wants and cut them up for me to use for shop rags. I do a lot of different brand and model lawn mower oil and filter changes. I just pack these rags around the filter and filter housing and it dose catch most of the spilled oil then I just clean up after words. The soiled rages just go into the trash with the old oil filter. I guess not very environmental friendly but I don't know what else to do with old oil filters.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil filters and what is needed to change them are always a problem. I have several 5 gallon plastic jugs that are see thru with nice screw on tops. I leave a large funnel in one or two jugs that are big enough to hold my drain pans. I also punch holes in the oil filters and let them drain while sitting in a funnel.
Having been a piston engine aircraft mech in the past, changing an oil filter was a project on most aircraft engines as they were a remote FAA approved addition to older engines extending the engine oil change time. The filters are large and hold over one quart of oil and as required, we cut them open, spread out the element and inspected for ferrous metal, aluminum and brass.
We used a special tool that is basically a large SS hose clamp with a long nut silver soldered onto it and a hollow screw threaded into it with a fitting for a small hose. The bolt/screw was sharpened on the tip and turning it would puncture the filter and let it drain. Always had to punch another hole on the high part of the filter to allow it to vent.
Dripping oil onto an aircraft engine is a NoNo!!! Pilots don't like seeing engine oil seeping out of the engine cowls during a flight and they will let maintenance know about it big time!!!!!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run two tiger cats with the Kawasaki engines. We change oil regularly. Here is what we do to NOT make a mess. First I drain the oil out through the hose into a jug. A gallon milk jug or old gas can works great. Then I take a 20 oz water bottle and cut it off with my pocket knife to about 2" high. Slide that cut off piece of bottle under the lip that is under the filter. Then I use one of the filter wrenches that slips over the filter and fits on a 3/8" ratchet. I loosen the filter. When the oil stops draining I remove it. The. Take a paper towel and wipe the oil out of the lip. Then pull the bottle out and pour the oil onto the container where the other used oil is and install the new filter. This works like a champ.

I have to service both mowers in the next week or so. I will try to remember to take pictures and post them.

Sonders

Threads
Great info jekjr. Thanks.

tigercat

Threads
Sometimes I use aluminum foil to make a drip pan on some machines. Then I shape it the way I want.