Export thread

Thinking about buying a Bid Dog ZTR

Old Goat

Old Goat

Would love to hear any comments on this subject. R-754 mower.

R-Series Zero-Turn Commercial Grade Riding Mowers - Big Dog Mowers

Kawasaki engine.

Any one have experience with these mowers?

Thanks,
Charles

Attachments

• SPECS_BIGDOG_R_Series_10-12.pdf
    810.8 KB · Views: 11

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

All I know is that they are made by Excel Industries (along with Hustler mowers). And just to let you know, there was a recall on some of the mowers....see it here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/gener...stler-bigdog-lawn-mowers-due-fire-hazard.html.

P

possum

Hustler and Exmark are the popular ones around here for extensive use. Big Dogs I have never seen but one passing through. There are a few Dixie Choppers around. The better end Cubs and the Worldlawn stuff is popular with folks that live outside of town with a couple acres to mow. Some homeowners have the upper end Hustler stuff but they buy it used.

E

edd

bought the r-754 last year....put 240 hrs on it in small lawn care business.....satisfied with it so far.....basically just a red hustler fastrak but was about 1200 dollars less got out the door for 4600 but prices have gone up in the last year

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

bought the r-754 last year....put 240 hrs on it in small lawn care business.....satisfied with it so far.....basically just a red hustler fastrak but was about 1200 dollars less got out the door for 4600 but prices have gone up in the last year

If the mower is like the Hustler model I would think it's a good mower! Do you have any pictures you could share of yours? :smile:

E

edd

no pictures but it is basically a 54 inch hustler fastrak ......prices have gone up because the brand has caught on so the dealer tells me......i liked the low center of gravity......i use it for 30 yards that i cut part time

Old Goat

Old Goat

Thanks for your comments edd.

Looks like I will be picking mine up around the first of March. Thought about the C model, but the larger tires along with comfort additions and the ROP bar sold me on the R series. I think this will be the LAST mower I will buy as I will not be doing any commercial work.

Well, unless I can get the little lady to hire out!

Charles

Attachments

E

edd

i bought mine to use commercially and am satisfied.....back tires were wider than ex mark and toro that i looked at.....roll bar was a must.....low center of gravity was a big point for me also because my son operates it more than i do......good luck

Old Goat

Old Goat

Thank you.

I'll be sure to come back here and let you know.

Charles

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thank you.

I'll be sure to come back here and let you know.

Charles
Old Goat,
How much did you end up having to pay for that big Dog? User edd seemed to have gotten a very good deal @ $4600 for that ZTR(noticed it has the foldable ROPS which you have to get the Hustler Fastrak "Super Duty" to get....the regular Fastrak has a one-piece ROPS). Still seems to be a decent mower for that kind of money!! BTW, the recall mentioned is most likely the fuel filter on the Kawasaki. Same as on my 2012 Gravely that has the Kawa FX691V engine. My dealer replaced mine no questions asked and yours should too(I did take the recalls with me to be sure). See links below for that info:
Kawasaki Motors Recalls Lawn Mower Engines Due to Fire Hazard

Kawasaki Motors Recalls Fuel Filters for Lawn Mower and Utility Vehicle Engines Due to Fire Hazard

Old Goat

Old Goat

Haven't taken delivery yet, but I am going to get an R754 for under $4800.

It does have the foldable ROP bar, 20X12 rear wheels, 13X5 front wheels, 23 HP Kawasaki engine, and various other improvements over the C series units. Fuel recall is a non issue.

ROP is of prime concern, as my wife will be using it mostly (she LIKES to cut grass). Foldable ROP is mandatory because we have live oaks with lower branches than other trees.

Charles

Attachments

• SPECS_BIGDOG_R_Series_10-12.pdf
    810.8 KB · Views: 8

E

edd

rop and low center of gravity was a huge selling point for me because my son is the main operater and we have a few yards with slopes......you could turn it over but you would have to try.......those wheelie wheels in the back add to safety also.....i am glad we got this big dog.......sounds like you got a good price because that same mower is 5500 here now.....i bought a 48 inch fastrak superduty on monday for 5550 out the door....it was a demo with 17 hrs.....

djdicetn

djdicetn

rop and low center of gravity was a huge selling point for me because my son is the main operater and we have a few yards with slopes......you could turn it over but you would have to try.......those wheelie wheels in the back add to safety also.....i am glad we got this big dog.......sounds like you got a good price because that same mower is 5500 here now.....i bought a 48 inch fastrak superduty on monday for 5550 out the door....it was a demo with 17 hrs.....

edd,

Like you said, even at $4800 user old goat got a good deal on that Big Dog. And you got a good deal on that Hustler Fastrak Super Duty. My dealer wouldn't budge from $8000 out-the-door for a 54" Super Duty, didn't have any demos when I was there. I gave $6800 out-the-door for my 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 100 XDZ and still consider that a great price(the MSRP for the 2013 models is $7500 plus tax).

Old Goat

Old Goat

Thanks guys,

I'm beginning to think I did good.
Sure wish I could have spelled BIG Dog correctly in the thread title!!!

Charles

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Sure wish I could have spelled BIG Dog correctly in the thread title!!!

:laughing::laughing: No big deal! :biggrin:

E

edd

i know i got a good deal on the super duty.......dealer had a 2013 model with 3 hours for 5900 out the door......i had already decided on a x-mark pioneer s series but stopped by this dealer just to take one more look and because they keep a dog at the dealership my grandaughter likes to play with....was walking out the door when owner came in and mentioned the demos.....if not for that dog and pookie being with me i would have missed that deal.....that kawasaki fx sure runs quiet.....we are in better shape for grass cutting than ever before.....54 inch big dog and 48 inch ftsd........next purchase will be an echo pas and attachnents

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

next purchase will be an echo pas and attachnents

Good choice! What powerhead are you thinking about getting?
ECHO PAS.jpg

E

edd

srm 225.....have read a lot of good reviews on this model

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

srm 225.....have read a lot of good reviews on this model
Yeah, I think the 225 is a good choice. If you want some of the more powerful attachments I would go higher up in the lineup, but for a trimmer, edger, blower, etc. I think that is a good choice. I like my SRM-225 trimmer and PE-225 edger! :thumbsup: They are not the Pro Attachment Series, but they use the same powerheads.
225's.jpg

djdicetn

djdicetn

i know i got a good deal on the super duty.......dealer had a 2013 model with 3 hours for 5900 out the door......i had already decided on a x-mark pioneer s series but stopped by this dealer just to take one more look and because they keep a dog at the dealership my grandaughter likes to play with....was walking out the door when owner came in and mentioned the demos.....if not for that dog and pookie being with me i would have missed that deal.....that kawasaki fx sure runs quiet.....we are in better shape for grass cutting than ever before.....54 inch big dog and 48 inch ftsd........next purchase will be an echo pas and attachnents

edd,
I hear ya on the Kawasaki FX series(my Gravely has the 22hp FX691). I learned through these forums that the FR series is "Residential", the FS series is "Heavy Duty" and the FX series is "Commercial". Anytime you invest in a ZTR that has Commercial components you can't go wrong. That Fastrak Super Duty has the Hydro-Gear ZT-3100 trannies doesn't it(also Commercial grade)? The Gravely I bought having the Kawa FX engine, the Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 trannies, cast iron spindles and the Ogura GT 2.5 Electric Clutch were some of the reasons I went with it. Hey....I read in a thread somewhere that the Hustler "Flex Forks" shock-absorbing front caster add-on makes for a VERY smooth ride if you are toying with the idea of that kind of investment. I can't recall what my dealer told me they cost.

E

edd

i looked at gravely but did not like the seat......just couldnt sit comfortably on it.........the price of the ftsd demo really sealed the deal for me

Old Goat

Old Goat

Got that BIG DOG home today.

Mama & I are both very impressed!
Those 20 X 12 rear tires are tops for traction.
I'm feeling like I made a good choice.

Now, if only we can learn to drive a ZTR properly soon!

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

That's awesome! Thanks for the pictures! I hope you both enjoy the mower! :biggrin:

djdicetn

djdicetn

Old Goat,

Looks like you may have to arm wrestle Mama to get to drive that ZTR:0)
Driving one of these after exclusively using a lawn tractor before is definitely a learning experience. My experience would recommend 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and drive it around the yard getting a feel for taking off, stopping and turning. After you begin to get comfortable go ahead and go to 3/4 to full throttle, find a clear area and practice going one direction, stopping and "changing directions" aka 180 degree turnarounds(by pushing one lever forward and pulling back on the other lever). At first, you may see some divets(circular areas where grass/ground is "twisted"). This was the hardest thing for me to get used to....what you have to learn to do is slow down to almost a complete stop and make sure you push forward/pull back on the opposite levers "simultaneaously/evenly" because to keep from making divets the trick is "both wheels" have to be moving at the same time in different directions!!! The natural thing to do at first is just push forward on one or pull back on one and when the "other tire" remains "stationary" that is what causes the divet(the stationary tire just spinning on the lawn in one place). After a while you'll get used to how to turn that Big Dog in an about face without leaving divets(I only leave an "occaisional" one and Iv'e just got 6 hours on my first ZTR). This is what will cut your mowing time in half(not having to "mow in circles"). I make 1-2 "circular" cuts around my front yard, then I start the back & forth "turnaround" cutting going into the perimeter area already mowed to perform the turnaround. You & mama will be mowing like the pros before you know it!!! Enjoy:0)

Old Goat

Old Goat

Thanks guys,

Yes, we have already gotten to the "practice makes perfect" stage.
We only drove it around for about 15 minutes a piece, but learned a few "don'ts".

Mom learned what it feels like to have a tree stop you without using the braking mechanism, and I learned about the "divot's" thing!

Mind you, we didn't make a passing grade, but we did learn where the "classroom" was located!

Weather is going to get real nice for practicing here soon, so maybe by real grass cutting time we'll have it pretty good.
Can't wait to see who gets the most "Oops".

I'm already thinking about inventing a "mental telepathy transducer" box to control this machine. Should make me rich IF I can perfect it!

Charles

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thanks guys,

Yes, we have already gotten to the "practice makes perfect" stage.
We only drove it around for about 15 minutes a piece, but learned a few "don'ts".

Mom learned what it feels like to have a tree stop you without using the braking mechanism, and I learned about the "divot's" thing!

Mind you, we didn't make a passing grade, but we did learn where the "classroom" was located!

Weather is going to get real nice for practicing here soon, so maybe by real grass cutting time we'll have it pretty good.
Can't wait to see who gets the most "Oops".

I'm already thinking about inventing a "mental telepathy transducer" box to control this machine. Should make me rich IF I can perfect it!

Charles
Old Goat,

Tell Mama to not feel too bad about the tree. The reason I gave the "take it easy at first" advice is because of the very first time I drove my new ZTR when I got it home. My father-in-law & I picked it up and while he was loading up my old Craftsman lawn tractor to take to my son, I was taking my first "practice ride" in the front yard. So after about 15 minutes at 1/3 throttle, I was getting "comfortable" with the controls and thought...."this bad boy goes 10mph, I wanna see how that feels"......BAD IDEA!!! I ended up hitting a 4" pcv pipe that sticks up about 4" out of the ground where I change my septic tank field lines, with the deck breaking the pcv pipe off at the ground......freaked me out and at that point I "froze up", looked up and was headed right towards my wife's 200lb wishing well(and couldn't pull back). I hit that thing square and knocked it about 6 feet into the air. Significant damage to the wishing well(made out of landscape lumber) but because of the commercial build of my Gravely absolutely no evidence of damage to the mower aside from a couple of mars on the paint on the front deck, wheel casters and frame. I checked the deck and it was still perfectly leveled. Fortunately, my dealer gave me some Gravely touch-up red paint:0)

Again, that speaks volumes about how well built these ZTR's are........but I guess your wife can imagine how embarassing that was in front of my father-in-law and how I felt about wrecking my brand new ZTR that was 15 minutes old:0) I'm just now getting where I can laugh about it...but believe me my whole family has had several bouts of rolling on the floor laughing just trying to visualize my experience since then(that would have made America's Funniest Videos.....or maybe a really good Gravely TV ad:0)

Maybe our posts will spark some more "true confessions" by others that had similar experiences the first time they ever drove a ZTR!!!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Maybe our posts will spark some more "true confessions" by others that had similar experiences the first time they ever drove a ZTR!!!

This guy ran over some flowers! :rolleyes:

Old Goat

Old Goat

Learned a long time ago to laugh at myself FIRST!

:laughing:

A

asmink

Today demo 2013 Big Dog X Diablo with 60 inch deck and 27hp Kawasaki motor. First off I am a Scag mower all the way , so I thought. The dealer were I live started sell them. They said take one and try it. Have a football / scoocer field that I take care of and it was needing to be mowed. IT was overseed with rye grass that is thick. MY Scag Turf Tiger cuts it good, but the Big Dog did a better job cutting it. Something that I like was how fast it can move, smooth hydro, the cut was very good nice job spreading the clipping. Thing that I did not like was the seat seem short but was ok, deck heights are in 1/2 inch mark I like 1/4 inch marks. It seem to be built just like the hustler. The decks are the big difference I can see. How well it will last is the big question. Here is some vidoe you can look at. Big Dog mower - YouTube / Big dog mower - YouTube. Hope this helps.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Today demo 2013 Big Dog X Diablo with 60 inch deck and 27hp Kawasaki motor. First off I am a Scag mower all the way , so I thought. The dealer were I live started sell them. They said take one and try it. Have a football / scoocer field that I take care of and it was needing to be mowed. IT was overseed with rye grass that is thick. MY Scag Turf Tiger cuts it good, but the Big Dog did a better job cutting it. Something that I like was how fast it can move, smooth hydro, the cut was very good nice job spreading the clipping. Thing that I did not like was the seat seem short but was ok, deck heights are in 1/2 inch mark I like 1/4 inch marks. It seem to be built just like the hustler. The decks are the big difference I can see. How well it will last is the big question. Here is some vidoe you can look at. Big Dog mower - YouTube / Big dog mower - YouTube. Hope this helps.

Good input! It's surprising it cut better than a Scag! :thumbsup:

Old Goat

Old Goat

Check the owners manual, reversing the height pin will give you 1/4" increments.

Charles

Attachments

djdicetn

djdicetn

Would love to hear any comments on this subject. R-754 mower.

R-Series Zero-Turn Commercial Grade Riding Mowers - Big Dog Mowers

Kawasaki engine.

Any one have experience with these mowers?

Thanks,
Charles

Old Goat,
Something that I'm curious about(and couldn't understand....really thought it was a "typo") on the R-Series Big Dog specs sheet is the warranty. It states a 3-Year/240 Hour Residential Warranty and a 1-Year/400 Hour Commercial Warranty. For some reason, the hours seem to be "flipped" where Residential usage should/would be covered for "more hours" than for Commercial usage.

Old Goat

Old Goat

Old Goat,
Something that I'm curious about(and couldn't understand....really thought it was a "typo") on the R-Series Big Dog specs sheet is the warranty. It states a 3-Year/240 Hour Residential Warranty and a 1-Year/400 Hour Commercial Warranty. For some reason, the hours seem to be "flipped" where Residential usage should/would be covered for "more hours" than for Commercial usage.

I seem to remember that, but I remember saying "Who gives a ****, in 3 years I'll never have to worry about running out of hours!

djdicetn

djdicetn

I seem to remember that, but I remember saying "Who gives a ****, in 3 years I'll never have to worry about running out of hours!

Old Goat,
I hear ya...with you having just a little over 2 acres and me a little over 1, you would be hard pressed to have 150 hours on yours in 3 years and me about 75. Neither of us need to worry about hours and 3 years should be plenty of time to flesh out any warranty adjustments that may be necessary. I guess the warranty guys figure a Commercial usage may put 100's of hours on one pretty quick, so they bump it up to 400 hours. Some that mow commercially can probably max that out(400) in 2-3 months.

Carscw

Carscw

Old Goat,
I hear ya...with you having just a little over 2 acres and me a little over 1, you would be hard pressed to have 150 hours on yours in 3 years and me about 75. Neither of us need to worry about hours and 3 years should be plenty of time to flesh out any warranty adjustments that may be necessary. I guess the warranty guys figure a Commercial usage may put 100's of hours on one pretty quick, so they bump it up to 400 hours. Some that mow commercially can probably max that out(400) in 2-3 months.

Warranty on my cub will run out tomorrow took a whole 4 weeks to hit 150 hours

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))