The Truth Behind Why Shops WON'T Work On Your Stuff

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pretty good episode.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, the cheap residential consumer brands are pretty much throw away products. Echo is my personal choice. I do have an old Poulan Pro 220 (Husqvarna) chainsaw. I recently put new fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, primer bulb, and carburetor mounting gasket on it. I was winding up my my clearing job and it started to surge. I dumped the fuel tank and was going to burn off any leftover fuel and it wouldn’t crank. I immediately knew the problem was with the coil. I ordered a new coil and spark plug. I replaced the coil and plug. It fired on the first pull. The cost for all of the parts was about $120 with shipping. When labor cost is added, you are well over $200. The cost of a new Echo residential chainsaw is going to be $350 minimum. If you don’t have the skill or knowledge to make those repairs, you are better off buying a new piece of equipment.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Those are the major OEMs. Husqvarna, Poulan, and Redmax are basically the same equipment as they are owned by the Husqvarna Group. Echo and Shindaiwa are now the basically the same too since Echo now owns Shindaiwa. It is just like a lot mower brands names are all own by a few manufactures. They just dress them cosmetically different.

Matter of fact I worked on both an Echo and a Shindaiwa backpack blowers that used the exact same parts last year..PB-9010T and EB910RT.

About the only thing left afterwards is the TTI and MTD lines.

Most the very old stuff is no supported due companies either going out of business or being brought up by their competitors during bankruptcy fire sales.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It all depends on the customer for me. If it's a new customer, and their "throw away" is within a year or two, I'll put a little effort into it. But they know it won't be much.
I'll throw on a new plug, filter & lines. If the carb is bad, I'll put on a new Amazon carb. But I'm not going to rebuild one.
As far as the pull cord, it's got to be easy to replace. Not one of those that has to be completely disassembled first.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Way to go guys. This thread caused a guy to bring me a poulan chainsaw with the usual rotten fuel lines today.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Way to go guys. This thread caused a guy to bring me a poulan chainsaw with the usual rotten fuel lines today.

Just trying help you through these hard times, man. You're welcome. :p

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It’s not too bad if you have a couple of pair of hemostats or long bodied needle nose pliers.