The new Briggs sparkplug. No. 799876 RJ2YLE Champion

possum

Threads
Anyone run into problems with this plug yet? I had one go bad today. Good fire with any plug but intermittent and very poor with this one. Mower would not start. No one has the plug around here. No one has even heard of it. My dealer spent an hour trying to find it until I gave him the number from my manual. He then found it from his Briggs parts house but they were all backordered. He had never heard of it himself and has been selling new lawnmowers with this plug. Car parts stores do not have it and do not even list it. I did find some for sale on Ebay. The word out is that these plugs wet foul while starting the Quantum engines and then fail to work. That looks to be what mine did. My dealer gave me a new plug from a new lawnmower in stock. He said I could pay for it when and if the new ones come in. He thinks it could be several weeks. They are going to cost over five bucks a pop. Engines made before date code 110701xx are not supposed to use this plug. But the ones after this code is not supposed to use any other one. The 625 675 725 Ex engines according to the briggs site have to use them to preserve warranty, and be in compliance with EPA.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / The new Briggs sparkplug. No. 799876 RJ2YLE Champion
Iv been testing a plug this year for briggs on many of my customers machines from model 9 to 28 l head type engines and so far had no failures.

Instead of a champion RJ19LM use a RJ19LMC and set gap to 0.020".
This should also fit in the new Quantum type engine with the spark plug hole further down directly on top of the cylinder.

cornishmk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. Had the same exact issue. Bought the mower in June. Started having issues in July. Finally replaced the plug. Had a heck of a time finding a replacement plug. No one could find the RJ2YLE in the computer. Seriously... ?

possum

Threads
At last. 200 views and someone else has the same problem. I no longer feel alone lol.

Delorean023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: The new Briggs sparkplug. RJ2YLE Champion

Same issue here. I just bought this mower in July and it's already not starting. Went to find a replacement spark plug at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot and no one has them. Bought the mower from Wal-Mart but their return policy is 30 days on mowers. Contacted Briggs & Stratton and haven't heard back from them. Last Briggs & Stratton engine I buy.

Delorean023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Follow up....

I went through the B&S web-site to report the problem and got a generic response so I called them. After being on hold for over 5 minutes, they say this is a "one off issue" not a known problem. They haven't had enough reported issues for a recall. She said she'd send me a new Spark Plug.

Don't go buy one, call them and get a free one and report the issue.

possum

Threads
I guess that is what I should have done. Instead I waited for them to come in for over a month and paid over five bucks each. Briggs seems to think its our fault, improper operation of the choke, stale octane depleted gasoline, and dirty cooling fins. They are guaranteed to start unless its your fault lol.

DIX

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess that is what I should have done. Instead I waited for them to come in for over a month and paid over five bucks each. Briggs seems to think its our fault, improper operation of the choke, stale octane depleted gasoline, and dirty cooling fins. They are guaranteed to start unless its your fault lol.

New briggs part # 591868 RJ19LMC you will have nothing but problems with the rj2yle its not hot enough.

This is from my briggs distributor .

ak_47_boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just had the same trouble with this plug on a friends brand new Toro mower bought in the spring. The plug was always wet and it was sparking when held to the head. It would run briefly after the plug was blown out with compressed air, then foul dead, but strangely still sparked fine outside the engine. Ether did nothing. It just so happened to be a new tank of gas as well, so i ended up huffing on it for a hour of confusion suspecting bad gas swearing it smelled funny. Changing to known good gas didn't help. Finally found another plug, problem solved works perfect. The original plug also worked fine when the engine is hot, but once it cooled off again the engine is dead. So now i am using an old model spark plug. I conclude this problem must have been triggered by recent cold weather.

This new mowers choke is on the flywheel, throttle is on a governor, has no primer, and is spotlessly clean. Something is wrong with this plug, probably beyond improper heat range (never seen a plug so tight between the inner insulator and threaded section). In any case this is the fault of Briggs. I can see this is going to be a widespread problem, it is defective. Change to the old number plug that has worked flawlessly since the 50s until they decided they knew better and bungled it up.

possum

Threads
From what little of understand this plug or the replacement is supposed to be part of the new emissions compliant for 2012 EPA. The fact that the dealers I talked to knew nothing about it as well as the lack of plugs at dealers is the real frustration. Since the engines having trouble are under warranty the proper plug is supposed to be used. I have seen no offers from Briggs to buy any replacement plugs. I cannot imagine how any amount of testing could not have found this problem. Nor can I imagine how many newer lawnmowers are running around with a 20 or 30 year old plug in it to replace the one the frustrated owner removed from the nearest junked engine.