The frozen whelk thread

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
heat and quinch. heat the rim/axel up cherry red, quinch it with a water hose.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is one of those MTD ones with no key and flat on the axle and a bolt in the center I use a bolt with a dimple drilled into it for the air chisel and I wedge a 2x4 behind the wheel and then use a real good air chisel with 175psi of air. They come off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Extreme heat and Extreme cold. The best way.
As the last resort
Which if you watched the video you would have seen Taryl do
To keep on repeating myself in 11 years only once did I need to break out the oxy torch and do a red heat removal
Because 99% of the time the air hammer works perfectly without doing any further damage, even if it is just burning the paint
Although I like to use the air hammer there as well while the wheel is still red hot
Getting used to using air hammers & levers / jacks / wedges is quite handy because there are lots of things that lock onto tapers like cast iron or alloy flywheels or blower fans where heat can not be used but the air hammer can be used
Extram heat does have places where it is the best solution , I do use it where necessary and in fact I have an induction heating kit on the water right now

I had a night shift fitter who had the 3 tools that worked every time
a 10lb hammer a pointed punch & a cold chisel

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The real fun is when you need to replace the seals on the wheel and tine shafts of a troy bilt tiller and the wheels and tines haven't been off for 20 years. Spent an entire day on one just getting the wheels and tines off without destroying anything.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
OH you really like those ponies don't you?

Every since I started using 2 cycle fuel mix and the trans/acetone mix. Sometimes one or the other. Muriatic acid also works to remove the rust. So far I only cut off one set of wheels and that was because the equipment owner had already destroyed the rims. I cut them off using a torch and didn't even damaged the axles.

But of the tiller owner don't know that put the wheels in neutral position as you know the rims ends up rusting in place they are never cleaned.

jpokerwinski

Threads
heat and quinch. heat the rim/axel up cherry red, quinch it with a water hose.
I heated it up but not to cherry red. Are you talking about the outside of the wheel or the inside where the hub goes over the axel ? I only have cans a MAPP gas. How long does it take to get it to cherry red?
wont it ruin the tire?
Quench it with cold water? Won’t that explode in your face ? Lol

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get all the rims off and ati-sneeze them for the next guy. Blade bolts, spindle bolts and so on.
1689700523071.png