That safety device underneath the ride-on lawn mower?

adan

Threads
  • / That safety device underneath the ride-on lawn mower?
For some reason I cannot recall the name of that safety / protective metal underneath the ride-on mower. Please see attached photo.

What is that thing made of? Is that replaceable? It's got to be :)

Attachments

• ride-on-lawn-mower.jpg
    ride-on-lawn-mower.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 35

173abn

Threads
adan,are you serious or are you not playing with a full DECK today? russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha ha nice pun russ... :laughing:
Yes it is replaceable That is the deck.
You will have better luck finding a newer model, that you may have to modify the brackets to get it to mount correctly... OR weld on steel patches in the places that need... :smile:KennyV

carl22

Threads
At first, I thought he was talking about the safety device under the seat, that cuts the mower off, or at least stops the blades, when you get out of the seat. Maybe that's not what he's talking about.

adan

Threads
There aren't a lot of lawn mowers in my part of the globe. Even Kubota, my preferred brand, has not yet answered my query about lawn mowers. Is Del Monte importing all its lawn mowers? I'm now beginning to wonder, but I haven't asked.

It's why I'm poor with names as far as lawn mower parts are concerned. All I know is that such metal underneath the ride-on lawn mower protects people -- especially kids -- from flying debris by containing them underneath. You'd find it surprising that I don't know what it's really called :)

So, it's called the deck? I have seen rusted decks in lawn mowers that I see operating on grass fields here right in front of the schools! I think it's not safe to let them run like that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Aside from basic safety, the deck design is what causes the blades to cut level as it holds the spindles and pulleys in alignment... also the underside design helps lift grass and directs the discharge for a cleaner cut... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
For some reason I cannot recall the name of that safety / protective metal underneath the ride-on mower. Please see attached photo.

What is that thing made of? Is that replaceable? It's got to be :)

Yes, they are replaceable, but I am sure they would be costly enough to discourage you from buying a new one unless you had a very expensive tractor. When I purchased my JD with the 60 inch 7-Iron deck, it cost almost two grand to add the deck and hydraulics to the order. Given the inane price gouging and ripoffs for mower parts, I bet it would cost me 4X that to buy another one from the dealership.

adan

Threads
Now I understand why the company has allowed the ride-on mower to gather rust like that. Well, not really. They applied paint on the rusted part, but the job was poorly done, I guess. But it's a cost issue. It's a classic make-money-from-the-drink-not-on-the-burger issue. What else is new? :)

carl22

Threads
I think maybe he's talking about the discharge chute. Adan, is the the black rubber or plastic part that attaches to the side of the deck. That is the discharge chute and yes it is very replaceable. That's probably one of the most replaced parts on a mower.

173abn

Threads
Sorry adan for being a wise guy.so I guess in your part of the world not many folks have lawns that need mowing? russ