TH16 Kohler owners out there ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got a nice low hour Walker ( 465hrs ) in the shop with a blown Kohler TH16S engine,
The oil pump sprocket has been spinning on the shaft so it has been running splash lubrication for quite a while by the looks of it.
The owner had it in a big box mower chain store for repair & they told him it was unrepairable because the engine turns the wrong way.
Have been doing the rounds of engine shops but it looks like TH series parts are very thin on the ground.
So two questions ?
1) any one know a shop with reasonable stocks of TH parts ( 2001 model ) ?
2) any one confirm the direction of rotation of an OHC TH series Kohler ?
I got the mower and 5 boxes of bits which are supposed to be the engine bu no starter motor so it is a bit hard to verify.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TH parts are thin, and the oil pump is NLA. Replaced a TH16 last year with a CH730 I think that is what it was. It was 18hp any way. Then also had to get the walker retrofit kit from Walker. The oil pump gear stripped on the spline on the one I had in the shop, but the reason his actually failed was it broke the timing belt.

The reason Kohler discontinued this engine was, because of the one piece head,cylinder, intake manifold, upper crankcase, the cylinders were bored from the underside, and then the sleeves where pressed in. In times of clogged cooling fins the aluminum would expand, and release the cast iron liner, and it would slide down. When the piston went back up the upper ring would get above the liner and then when it tried to pull the piston back down it would take the liner with it, and then break both rods.

The replacement engine is a ch621-3012 with walker mounting kit part number 6010-20 for the 6.7 bushel grass collector, 6010-21 for the 9.5 bushel collector, and 6010-22 for side discharge.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks,
That answers one question, the engine is not an economic repair so it goes in the graveyard.
Now what is in the Walker kit ?
I tried the flywheel & PTO shaft and it drops strait onto a couple of CV's I have in the graveyard & I pinched their flywheels to go on some CH's so that should fit.
The exhaust headder pipes are a simple S bend so I can turn then around till they slot into the muffler.
It has the external drum air filter with a long rubber connector so that should slot in.
Is there a height problem ?
We are looking at fitting a CH 620 or CH 640 which we can get from a remainder discounter.
However it is a long way to ship from the USA to Aust only to find it will not fit.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You get a template to drill the new motor mount holes, a template to cut out the area under the bed for the air cleaner intake since it does sit slightly higher, and where to drill the hole to access the dipstick. A new engine pulley, I believe a new drive belt, and the new exhaust system.

I think in mine the templates were missing, and I used the old drive pulleys and drive belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you,
That is good information to front the customer with.
I was expecting to drill some new mounting holes and play around with air intake.
A Vanguard was dropped into the hole just to see how things might go and the only problem looked like being the blower belt so in a pinch it looks like the 16Hp Vanguard could be made to fit which made me a little more confident about the CH 620.
The kit sounds like it assumes you have nothing left of the old engine and a re doing a clean instal.
Up all night lookig for info but no one was going to tell me what was in the kit just a price & availability.
Thanks again.
Never touched a Walker before so am really looking foreword to getting some greasy knuckles but it will be month before the engine gets here.
Locally a CH620 is $3,800 wholesale & $5,000 retail +tax as compared to $2200 landed bought retail in the US including freight & tax.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also forgot that you have to cut out part of one of the shields to make room for the oil filter to stick through, and position the engine correctly. I also believe it came with a regulator mount or something to relocated the voltage regulator, but I didn't have to relocate the regulator on the side discharge that I converted last year.

cashman

Threads
Wondering if you can still get those retro kits from Walker? Didn't the TH16 replace the M16 on if I remember right, the Walker model T ? Saw a lot of the M16's on Walkers. I bet theres still some of those running out there?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just converted one from the TH16 last year, so they are still available. The magnum engine was gone before the Triad engine hit the market. Walker and Grasshopper were the first to pick up the overhead cam engine, and then within a few months of hitting the market, were looking for a replacement engine because of all the failures. Kohler tried a few fixes but in the end just replaced the engine with the Command.

I think the Triad walker conversion was talked about for 3 years straight in Factory update schools. Some of the engines didn't last 50 hours, so went over 1000 before replacement or having the mower scrapped.