Tensioner spring

rhino69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 96 landlord with the 17 hp Kawasaki water cooled motor ,it runs great but I had a new trans belt installed and was told the tensioner spring was broken, they installed a spring that they had at the shop and the mower slips going up Hill, I called the local dealer and the spring is obsolete, nobody has one can anyone tell me what I could use to replace it .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Provide us with the model number of the ID tag on the tractor frame. With it we can look up the part number and then try to figure out the size of the spring.

rhino69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Provide us with the model number of the ID tag on the tractor frame. With it we can look up the part number and then try to figure out the size of the spring.
Fd501v. 1692786 mfg. Number

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 2 different springs used on your drive system. Drive spring #1666759SM. Spring petal return #2156302SM. You might have to crawl under the unit to determine which one they replaced. Both springs are still available, so I don’t know their problem in getting you the correct one. This parts manual will help you locate the springs, pages 18-19. https://www.thepowerportal.com/ipls/ipl.htm?md=1692786~_IPLURL_LO.pdf

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Rivets I have to disagree here as item 37 is NLA per PD which the Briggs main distributor.
1687445609216.png

The coil portion is about .58 OD x 6.9"

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I might be wrong, as you like to point out every chance you get, but just did a search and found 4 sites who say they have one, not Altozon or Fleabay. I don’t have access to distributor sire so don’t know if it is available through them. The OP asked for help finding a replacement and I gave him what I found. Even attached parts manual which shows the same diagram as you posted, but as I’ve said to you before, “Yes Dear” your right.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I might be wrong, as you like to point out every chance you get, but just did a search and found 4 sites who say they have one, not Altozon or Fleabay. I don’t have access to distributor sire so don’t know if it is available through them. The OP asked for help finding a replacement and I gave him what I found. Even attached parts manual which shows the same diagram as you posted, but as I’ve said to you before, “Yes Dear” your right.
No rivets not I not trying to a pain. It just my experience lately is that some sites like to list parts as available, take you money, and then a few weeks later tell you the parts are NLA. Searspartsdirect was my last run in as indicate the throttle I needed was in stock when instead it has been on BO from my distributor since Sept 22.

rhino69

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is # 37 on the page that the dealer said was unavailable, thanks for the replies and the dimensions

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Goes like this
B & S stopped making part 37
So their WHOLESALE web site that us mere mortals can not access shows it as NLA
So it can not be ordered from Briggs & Stratton ( they own Simplicity )
Thus the only stock out there will be what is sitting on dealers or second level distributors shelves
Now as Star has pointed out a lot of internet only parts suppliers just download every catalogue they can find so you will give them your money
Then they place an order only to find it is NLA
Because it is all about who has the MONEY in their bank account most will string you along for a very long time then eventually give you your money back if you demand they do it and some will still take a cut .
So you have to either use a business like Jacks Small Engines that has a live inventory search so it will show X in stock and hope it is current & correct or phone some one and talk to a human and get them to check .
If you do the latter some dealers will check B & S and find the part is NLA then they may remove their stock because they have good customers they want to keep who will need this spring in the future or they will double the price because they know no one else has any. ( law of supply & demand )
More than once I have needed to take a broken spring to a spring maker and get one made
Usually I will get them to do an "economic small batch " and sell most of the rest on Evilpay at a price that covers the cost of making the whole batch so what I u=have used & kept has cost me nothing .