Tecumseh Power Sport

mjatvrepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, new to the forum and would glad to help out with any issues now or the future. I have a slight problem, I work on ATV's and Dirt Bikes full time and rarely ever work on small engines but I took the job because I figured how hard could it be, cant be any different from a Polaris engine just less horsepower and smaller. Well I was wrong this engine has eaten my supper,lol.

This is what I got, Tecumseh Power Sport on a yerf dog go cart I know this is a mower forum but I was hoping someone could help. When I got the engine someone had put mixed gas in the engine causing the valves to stick and the exsaust push rod to bend.

I have replaced both push rods, replaced the valves and set them to .004 gap, replaced the seats, springs etc... Rebuilt the Carb, set the ignition coil to buisness card depth "always worked for me" did a jump the gap test on the spark plug and Im getting fire. But it still will not crank, it wont even stutter. I dont understand I have replaced everything but the engine itself and the carb itself.

Any help to get this thing to crank would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Matt

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you clean the jet that is in the nut that holds the carb bowl on.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I set my coil air gap a little closer then you do I just use a peace of paper. I think it should be around 6 thousand a bussness card is a little much.

originalswampfox

Threads
You need fuel, spark, compression and timing. I would start by squirting a little gas on the air cleaner. The timing is the hardest to check save that for last.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You say you work on engines all the time and you are right this one is no different then a ATV or motorcycle, I also work on them. You just are missing something compression, spark, fuel, and timing and it will run. If you do this for a living you should know how to check each of these things.

mjatvrepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
You say you work on engines all the time and you are right this one is no different then a ATV or motorcycle, I also work on them. You just are missing something compression, spark, fuel, and timing and it will run. If you do this for a living you should know how to check each of these things.

Wow I didnt know the welcome would be so nice... All I was asking was for help not a smart answer. There is no cam or no timing chain just 2 valves and a piston so no I do not know how to time this engine if it even has timing. It has fuel, it has a spark you would know this if you read my post and it has good compression. With all do respect there is a very big difference in a 700 cc V-Twin water cooled engine with EFI and an oboard computer vrs a 200 cc go cart engine. So yes I have been doing this for 6 years and this is the first small engine that I have ever worked on. Thanks for you help

mjatvrepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
I set my coil air gap a little closer then you do I just use a peace of paper. I think it should be around 6 thousand a bussness card is a little much.

No problem will adjust that now, thanks for your help at least there is a few helping people.

mjatvrepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need fuel, spark, compression and timing. I would start by squirting a little gas on the air cleaner. The timing is the hardest to check save that for last.

I have fuel from the carb to the engine, I have a spark on the plug, the compression is at about 113 psi, how do I check the timing. Thanks for your help

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I didn't mean to make you mad at me. I just thought you would recheck your self. I can go over it with you if you want.. I did this for a living all so and never liked someone telling what to do. Timing isn't much to check just make sure the key is good in the flywheel and Air gap. Does this engine have points and if so that will change your timing if the gap is off. You said compression was good and you did check the plug in the engine under compress witha a spark tester. I check fuel with starting fluid in carb. Sorry about that misunderstanding. :frown: