Tecumseh OHV Ryder - - - HELP

Butch1957

Threads
On this engine it was accidentialy ran without oil for a few seconds / a minute or so and it locked the engine. I can turn the flywheel barely very little both ways.

My question is that is this engine shot ? Or can it be unfroze and back to normal running condition except this time with oil in it.

Tecumseh OHV 155 I believe it is a 14.5 or it could be a 15.5 Either way it is locked.

Any input please ?

Captn Cliffy

Threads
It might be possible to get the engine working again. I had a friend run the engine on his lawn mower without oil, and I found a used piston and connecting rod laying around, installed a new set of rings, and the mower actually worked - until he ran it without oil again!:thumbdown:

I doubt you can find a direct replacement Tecumseh engine, as they are no longer making engines, but it looks like a comparable B & S Intek would run you around $400. If you are mechanically inclined enough to basically tear the engine apart and rebuild it, you might be able to salvage it, depending on how much damage has been done. You would have to estimate the value of your time, and what needed parts would cost. If you don't want this involved of a job, its either scrap metal, or give it to a friend who (like me) enjoys working on small engines, and can use it for parts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might be able to save it. I would put oil in the crankcase and squirt some in the cylinder. Slowly try to turn the engine back and forth by hand (maybe a wrench on the pulley) until it comes lose. If you get it lose you can see if it will start and take it from there. Some people over fill the crankcase to make sure oil gets to the connecting rod, but this won't help if the magneto bearing is froze. If you try this and it works, don't forget to drain it down to the full mark. Also, if you try to start it do it outside. If it starts you will have a mosquito fogger for about 20 minutes.