Tecumseh LV195EA engine issues

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How did you set the float level? I set mine slightly rich, meaning it is a little higher on the pin side. This will give a richer mixture, especially on start up and may reduce your fuel starvation problem.

Daniels45

Threads
How did you set the float level? I set mine slightly rich, meaning it is a little higher on the pin side. This will give a richer mixture, especially on start up and may reduce your fuel starvation problem.

If you look at the carb horizontally with the float on top it was first set so that there was a slight angle downwards towards the opposite side of the float pin retainer and I was still getting stalls. This time I widened the gap on the clip that holds the pin so that the float sits parallel with the carb and still have the same issues.

Daniels45

Threads
Another update. I ended up getting a new carb repair kit and a new coil after many attempt at cleaning the carb and trying out different float lvl adjustments. I now get an improvement. It stalls only once after a 30 second run and afterwards it's works like a champ.

ryanbrewer1109

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another update. I ended up getting a new carb repair kit and a new coil after many attempt at cleaning the carb and trying out different float lvl adjustments. I now get an improvement. It stalls only once after a 30 second run and afterwards it's works like a champ.

I've been working on a Toro mower with the LV195EA engine for awhile and have become very familiar with this engine and carb. I agree with the others that this is a fuel starvation issue. The true test of this would be to see if you could prevent it from stalling after your initial 30-second run by priming the pump when you think it's about to stall. If that prevents the stall, it must be a fuel issue. I found this manual to be helpful in troubleshooting my own engine. http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehcarburetormanual.pdf
First you need to identify which series your carb is, based on the pictures and descriptions in the book. Mine is a series 8. so guessing yours is too since we have the same engine. This will help you understand which design you have, so you will know which holes in the carb lead to what passages.

Check out step #21 on the link below. It shows the carb body with primer bulb, idle well welch plug and idle restrictor jet removed. The top four holes in the idle mixing well pass straight into the carb throat and the lower one intersects with the restrictor jet.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_series_11.asp
I know this link refers to a series 11 carb, which you might not have, but go ahead and see if your car has the tiny holes shown in the throttle throat.
If that link gives you problems, try viewing the image directly here: http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/images/tecumseh_series11/_throttle_shutter.JPG
If your carb has these holes, read on.
You must be very careful when cleaning out these tiny holes to not enlarge them, so use a wire that is sufficiently small, then blow out with compressed air. I found it difficult to blow these out with compressed air since the air gun tip cannot really fit inside the carb throat, but for each hole I just determined where the other end of the passage went and blew out the passage from the other side. As the throttle plate is rotated by the governor linkage, the throttle plate gradually moves past each of these holes. I think one of them might be clogged, so you experience issues as the plate is transitioning from wide-open throttle to being somewhat closed.
I'd be interested to hear back if this helps.
Cheers!