Tecumseh leaks like a seive

flowpo

Threads
I sent the following after contacting the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. I was told that all recalls were handled by email and was given Kyle Kubista's email address. His response was to the point and said my engines did not fall into the recall. My question to the forum is, Do any of you have this problem? While reading online about my problem I see where the Earthquake auger is one of the pieces of equipment that commonly has gas leaks and it might just be coincidence , but the same engine on my Troy-Bilt has the same problem. If anyone has any experience with these engines and this problem please give me a clue on what the possible cause is. It is not the fuel lines because I replaced those. Thanks for reading this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. Kubista,
I have two pieces of power equipment and each have the same Tecumseh engine model TC11 and they both have the same defect which is gas flows steadily from some point near the carburetor. They both run, but I think the gas leak creates an unsafe situation and I have discontinued use of these pieces of equipment. I see online that there is a recall of this particular engine and I would like to participate in that recall and have my equipment repaired to a safe condition. The equipment I am referring to is as listed.

Eartquake power auger and the following numbers were found on it TC300 3204H ( B ) 2269CA The auger is manufactured by Ardisam, model #8900, serial #186616

Troy-Bilt garden tiller, The only number found on it besides the TC11 are TC300 3196F ( B ) 9237G

I contacted the The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. I was told a recall does not expire and they gave me your contact information to have the problems I have taken care of. The information concerning this recall is on their website
Originally issued April 4, 2006
Revised November 27, 2009
Release #06-130

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If I remember correctly that was the recall where the fuel line was sliding off the fuel nimple on the fuel tank. sometimes right in the box before it was sold. The remedy was to remove the fuel line roughen the nipple with sandpaper, clean with alcohol, and reinstall the fuel line before the alcohol evaporated.

The problem was due to the use of low permeation fuel line, and the inner liner was plastic would slide off the fuel nimple on the fuel tank.

flowpo

Threads
If I remember correctly that was the recall where the fuel line was sliding off the fuel nimple on the fuel tank. sometimes right in the box before it was sold. The remedy was to remove the fuel line roughen the nipple with sandpaper, clean with alcohol, and reinstall the fuel line before the alcohol evaporated.

The problem was due to the use of low permeation fuel line, and the inner liner was plastic would slide off the fuel nimple on the fuel tank.

Thanks for your reply. Mine has anywhere from a rapid drip to a small stream of gas, but it will still crank and run I set two fence posts just yesterday with gas dripping on the auger so could that still be the problem? I will look again, but my previous attempts to locate the source have been in vain.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your search for someone else to fix this will be in vain too!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Recalls might not expire, but corporations do!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Should be a pretty much straightforward problem and fix.

flowpo

Threads
Your probably right. I'm lacking a little in mechanical skills, but I am not totally helpless. I thought that maybe it was a common problem and lots of advice on easy fixes would come my way. Now if it were made of wood I could fix anything that comes up since that is my area of expertise having owned and operated a furniture repair and refinishing business for 41 years. I appreciate your comments.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, Tecumseh is gone, so you have a tank, a fuel line and a carb. Does it dribble while not running?

flowpo

Threads
Well, Tecumseh is gone, so you have a tank, a fuel line and a carb. Does it dribble while not running?

I thought that might be the case. If I do a search for dealers in my area it comes up with none. There is a website of sorts, but no contact info.

It leaks the worst while not running. After I start it slows way down, but not quite to a stop. A full tank will go dry overnight. I'll take the tank off and look for leaks there and check the lines for cracks and good connections. If it is the carb are kits still available?