Tecumseh HM80 loose Governor Shaft?

lostinbaja

Threads
I have a HM80 on a tiller that I can no longer get to run correctly. As it idles (Too fast) the throttle lever bounces off the idle stop screw and I think it's because the governor shaft has a lot of play in it at the engine case. Is there supposed to be a bushing between the case and the shaft? If so, can I put a new bushing on the shaft? Can I put it on the shaft without having to remove the side of the engine?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry...

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jerry, see if you can find a parts explosion and see a removable bushing. Maybe someone here has a source

lostinbaja

Threads
I have been to 3 local small engine shops in the area and nobody can tell me what is in the engine or how to repair the play in the governor shaft.

KrashnKraka

Threads
I have a HM80 on a tiller that I can no longer get to run correctly. As it idles (Too fast) the throttle lever bounces off the idle stop screw and I think it's because the governor shaft has a lot of play in it at the engine case. Is there supposed to be a bushing between the case and the shaft? If so, can I put a new bushing on the shaft? Can I put it on the shaft without having to remove the side of the engine?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry...

I am hearing you with the horizontal 'slop' of the G-shaft.
If it was the G-lever arc of travel you would have cause for concern, and a fix.
Reads to me like you could do with either a new G-spring or adjusting
the tension of the existing spring so the stop is stable, and any increase
in moving the throttle to RPM immediately adjusts the G-lever.
It is a delicate adjustment with tension or lack of at idle being critical.

KK

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you get a clear look at the engine block where the shaft enters? Clean it and take a close look for a pressed in brass bush. Otherwise , maybe like the cheaper carburetor shaft bores which (unfortunately) just wear and let unwanted air in?