Tecumseh hesitates after carb rebuild

jmor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I rebuilt the carb on my Tecumseh 5.5 HP engine and now it starts fine. But then it hesitates every 12-15 seconds and then runs good for a minute. This cycle seems oddly consistent.

I flushed the old fuel and replaced the fuel line. Even added Sea Foam to the fresh gas.

What else can I try to get it running smooth?

Tecumseh motor VLV55 501039a B49b

chance123

Threads
Does your carb have an adjusting needle under the float bowl? If not remove the float bowl bolt. The float bowl will probably stay put under tension of the rubber gasket, but that float bowl bolt has a jet in it. put a tag wire through it along with carb spray to get the passage as clean as possible. There should be a tiny hole on top, and 2 larger holes on the shank below the threaded area.
One other thing. Did you replace the float needle? If so,did you adjust the tang on the float for proper level?

jmor

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no bolt under the bowl, but one on the side that has the jets. I'll try cleaning it. Everything beneath the carb body was replaced as part of a kit, including the float and float needle.
How do I know if when have the correct float level?

DaveTN

Threads
There is no bolt under the bowl, but one on the side that has the jets. I'll try cleaning it. Everything beneath the carb body was replaced as part of a kit, including the float and float needle.
How do I know if when have the correct float level?

I'm curious as to what holds the float bowl on? In my experience I rarely have to adjust the float level. It is done by bending the metal tang that the needle clips on to. You're looking to make the float LEVEL as you hold it upside down with the needle in it and look at it sideways. There are measuring instruments but in all my years of experience with engines, the ONLY time I've ever used them is when I worked at Suzuki Cycles and we were more close on our carburetor requirements and used the proper instruments. I don't recall any Sears engine techs using a float gauge in the shop, although some may have to set the float levels when I worked there. At any rate, I don't think your problem is in the float level. Sounds more like a fuel starvation issue.

jmor

Forum Newbie
Threads

chance123

Threads
I just looked at the link that you posted with the parts. I "now" see that the bowl is retained with that retainer shown in the photos (no screws). The main jet is, more than likely within that long brass tube with the threads in it