Tecumseh H60 broken head bolt

NickR

Forum Newbie
Threads
The head is not off but it's quite easy to see the break is inside the block.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The head is not off but it's quite easy to see the break is inside the block.

Well this is a new one on me that I never tried to remove a broken head bolt with the head still on. Personally I really don't think its that bad of a job to remove the head. But seeing that is the way you want to remove this bolt I hope you the best of luck. Maybe the reverse drill bit, but be sure you use a centering punch and with a lot of luck just maybe you will get it out with out doing a lot of damage.

DaveTN

Threads
Before you try to muscle those over-torqued head bolts out, take a flat punch and hit center on each head bolt a few times to jar it loose. They will come out a LOT easier that way. If you can put some penetrating oil on them I would, but since they're so tight I doubt if much if any would get down into the threads. Loosen a small amount, then re-tighten just a tad back and forth and loosen them up like that, then they should come on out. But just trying to man handle them on out with a socket or wrench might wring off a few more besides that one. Good Luck with it. :thumbsup:

NickR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure how I confused everyone, but, here is the skinny. I am not trying to remove the broken bolt with the head still on. I'm waiting for a new head gasket to arrive before I remove the head. I was able to remove all of the other head bolts, just haven't pulled the head yet. I'll give you a progress report next weekend.

Thanks all.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure how I confused everyone, but, here is the skinny. I am not trying to remove the broken bolt with the head still on. I'm waiting for a new head gasket to arrive before I remove the head. I was able to remove all of the other head bolts, just haven't pulled the head yet. I'll give you a progress report next weekend.

Thanks all.

Well I thought the head was off till you said it was still on. So just a matter of lifting the head off the block. Just why wouldn't you remove head so you can see what is involved with ordering parts. I always take something completely apart before I order parts so I only have to order them once and even at that I might still have to order something else. But also I am doing it to make money and looking and chasing for more parts cost money.

Woody71

Threads
Had this happen on my mower this past spring. I used a cobalt drill bit based on the size I needed for the extractor (it was a Ryobi spiral extractor). I first smoothed the surface with a Dremel. Tapped the center with a punch and drilled an appx 1/4" deep hole.

I ended up having to hammer the extractor into the hole. Once I did that the bolt came right out. The bolt is actually still on the extractor.

In my case, I was the one who broke the head off. Learned a valuable lesson about click type torque wrenches. Mine came out pretty easily most likely because I'd coated the threads with Loctite blue before tightening them up.

NickR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got to the bolt this weekend. I bought the cheap left handed bits at HF. As soon as I started drilling with the smallest bit I could see the bolt move. When I started drilling with the next largest bit it screwed the bolt right out of the hole. I guess I got lucky on my first, and hopefully last, broken head bolt. I de-carbed the head, piston and valves while I had the head off.

Now to get this thing running right. It starts right up but is missing and the governor is surging. Spark plug is new. Pulled the bowl and needles and sprayed with cleaner and compressed air. Needle holes are clean, still runs poorly. Guess I'll try pulling the carb and doing a proper rebuild. Finger crossed, I need to get some tilling done.

Thanks for all the help!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the engine is surging concentrate on the low speed jet when going through the carb. repair.

DaveTN

Threads
Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw? Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel which is one reason it is loping and surging. Sometimes carbs can be a real pain to get adjusted, and some mechanics simply replace it. Chain saws seem to take some of the worst punishment on dirt and oil around the engine and carburetor , cooling system!

NickR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried adjusting the high and low jets and made sure they were clean and undamaged. I've pulled the high speed assembly and made sure the tiny metering holes were clear. I've sprayed through the needle seats and up through the inlet seat and fuel line connection. So, I'm to the point of pulling the carb and doing a full scale cleaning.