Tear down Briggs 3.5 hp

cjdave

Threads
I will try to make this short. I have 2 Briggs 3.5 hp older motors. I am wanting to learn how to tear down these and learn how to repair mowers. I have the book, Haynes Techbook on Small Engine repair Can someone help me with what tools I will need, I have a lot of automotive tools. But what specialty tools do I need to get? And a brief understanding how all the specialty tool work? And maybe some tips or tricks to tear them down and work on them. Sorry this is so long but I just need a little understanding to get me started Thanks for all the help I hope this is not a bother. Thanks David

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Having done this for over 30 years this should be easy. The only special tool you will need is a ring compressor, to be used on reassembly.

cjdave

Threads
Thanks for the fast responce Thanks David

Lawnranger

Threads
Since you have the repair manual, read through the entire process first to familiarize yourself with the procedure and have a pen & paper ready to write down the tools they list in the procedure. Like previously mentioned, all you will really need as far as specialty tools go is a ring compressor and they are relatively inexpensive.

However, if you plan on replacing parts such as the crankshaft you will need to check end play and to properly do that you will need a dial indicator, for example. The list of specialty tools is almost endless and for the average guy it's cost-prohibitive but there is nothing wrong with buying some of the special tools to work on small engines. I have four different carburetor adjusting tools for two stroke engines just so I can adjust the carburetor on them. Do you need those??? It all depends on what you work on. My advice - buy only what you need and when you need it.

HTH,

Lawnranger