Tapping dust out of air filter

jcworks

Threads
Toro MX5060 with Kawasaki 23hp, paper cartridge air filter. My yard gets very dusty in some spots when the weather gets very dry and in some parts of the yard the mower kicks up a cloud of dust. I use to take the filter off every few months. When I tapped it on the side of a tree I was disgusted with the amount of dust that came out. I'm beginning to think I now need to remove it every couple of mowings and tap it till no more comes out.
(1) I'd like some feedback about how often you guys take off the filter and tap it to get the dust out. (2) Do any of you use the sponge like cover that fits over the filter?

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hold up a minute! Are you sure it has Yamaha engine? I would think it came with a 23hp Kawasaki engine.
Please provide us a model number and serial number of the mower.

jcworks

Threads
Hold up a minute! Are you sure it has Yamaha engine? I would think it came with a 23hp Kawasaki engine.
Please provide us a model number and serial number of the mower.
I don't know why I said that, other than I'm getting old. Yes, it has a Kawasaki 23hp. I corrected it, thanks! My boat has the Yamaha. :)
The mower is Model 74641

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put on a mask and use compressed air from the inside of the filter out. Or get a washable filter if you can find one.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know why I said that, other than I'm getting old. Yes, it has a Kawasaki 23hp. I corrected it, thanks! My boat has the Yamaha. :)
The mower is Model 74641
FR691V
Good. Yes, get you a foam pre-filter. It’s washable with dish soap and warm water. Some folks like to use a foam filter oil on the pre-filter. You can get that at your parts store or motorcycle shop. Always spray lightly on a clean dry foam filter. You will still need to clean the paper element periodically. Refer to your manual. Compressed air can damage the paper element. A leaf blower works much better. Blow from the inside to the outside.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
FR691V
Good. Yes, get you a foam pre-filter. It’s washable with dish soap and warm water. Some folks like to use a foam filter oil on the pre-filter. You can get that at your parts store or motorcycle shop. Always spray lightly on a clean dry foam filter. You will still need to clean the paper element periodically. Refer to your manual. Compressed air can damage the paper element. A leaf blower works much better. Blow from the inside to the outside.
most sources of compressed air allow for regulation of the air pressure. One does not need to hit it with 150 PSI. Just barely enough to blow the dust out is adequate. I do it all the time with certain filters and there is no damage. But I am not using enough pressure to tear the element.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do not oil a foam filter. That oil will migrate from the foam to the paper, clogging the paper filter very quickly. A foam filter over the paper filter is your best bet and a quick blast with air after each use will solve your problem.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
one can also spray a small amount of water over the dusty area to just dampen it a bit but not make it muddy, and that will help keep the dust down, or mow a couple days after a rain. Turn the rainbirds on the day before etc.,

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let the paper clog with oil. At least it's not micro-fine grit entering the engine. Won't hurt a thing. Paper might not flow as zippy as a dry one, small potatoes. It will eventually clear a path and flow again.

I too say get a foam pre filter and oil it up with some SAE 30w. Even better is that tacky dirt bike UNI foam filter spray.

Also I say to leave the air filter alone until it starts to run poorly. Taking it on and off, blowing any kind of air stresses out the paper. You are just blowing grit into the paper. Install it, leave it alone and cut some grass. Briggs says to replace once a year.

Lastly a dirty filter filters better than a new clean one.

Last edited:

RayMcD

Threads
Toro MX5060 with Kawasaki 23hp, paper cartridge air filter. My yard gets very dusty in some spots when the weather gets very dry and in some parts of the yard the mower kicks up a cloud of dust. I use to take the filter off every few months. When I tapped it on the side of a tree I was disgusted with the amount of dust that came out. I'm beginning to think I now need to remove it every couple of mowings and tap it till no more comes out.
(1) I'd like some feedback about how often you guys take off the filter and tap it to get the dust out. (2) Do any of you use the sponge like cover that fits over the filter?
Hi JC, if you dig around on the site you can find many discussions about air filters. There are even some that will call you thrifty for complaining about having to replace your air filter. There are upgrades available for you air filter box. I took it on myself, couldn't be happier with the results. The only way to solve you issue is to move the air intake above the problem. This may look a little strange but is does a great job!!! Cheers, Ray

Attachments

• HomeMadeFilterBox.JPG
    HomeMadeFilterBox.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 22