Taking out tree stumps

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have owned some fair sized Cat equipment... even my big track equipment was not a good match for 'pulling' stumps. They can be very stuck, and you need to do a lot of digging to remove them.
A standing tree can be pushed over with a crawler or excavator, taking the root ball along with it... But you are actually using the bulk of the tree to assist, like a big lever.
Stumps are tough to remove, grinding them down is the most cost efficient way to be rid of them in the shortest time, with the least disturbance of the area around it. KennyV

mamaA

Threads
We have about 10 stumps (cut low-low-low to the ground) in our yard. My husband said we'd rent a stump grinder but that was 5 years ago. :rolleyes: Nowadays they are to the point a tractor could push them out because they are rotted and soft.

Zeroturn

Threads
Burning them out? Seriously how does that work? We had a stump removed when we first moved here and we threw the stump on the burn pile. I have to say it's still there (smaller but still there), it's been 5 years.

Rip

Threads
Back in the day before everyone got scared of everything you could go down to the hardware and buy a couple of sticks of dynamite to work out a stump. Using about 1/2 stick at a time a stump could be loosened up enough to pull out easily with a tractor. The noise wasn't much louder than a shotgun blast. With a little common sense no one got hurt and it was pretty fun!:confused2:

But that was then...

rip

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep... use to make a lot of things go boom... and no one ever thought anything of it , blasting stumps was very common. KennyV

RockHound

Threads
I have to say, I love Red Green. Very nice!:laughing: On the issue of tree stumps, you can drill deep into the stump and it will rot quicker that way. The stump grinder is the best thing if you want to do it right away, As far as pulling them out, nothing beats a team of good Percherons. :biggrin:

BlueGrass

Threads
I would check with your local Home Depot or Rental shop and see if they have any machines to use. Sometimes they require a hefty down payment though so I would shop around.

Zeroturn

Threads
Now I love the thought of using Dynamite on them! :eek: I bet I would not blow myself up either! Ok well maybe I would. I'm thinking of drilling out the middle of them. Maybe I could start them on fire after.