T210 blade removal

Curt1940

Threads
I'm trying to help my sister-in-law replace the blades on her Craftsman T210 mower, model CMXGRAM 1130043. I have removed the deck and flipped it over, but having no luck removing the blade nuts. Are they right hand or left hand threads, different answers from different people. I am using a 1/2" impact wrench (very old) and don't know if it is as strong as it used to be. Any suggestion on getting the blades off. The mower is about 3 years old I think, it looks like it's much older and I think this is the first service it's had. Thanks

Last edited:

Curt1940

Threads
Thanks Rivets, I put some penetrating oil on the nuts last night and I will try heating them up today and see if they will break loose.

Curt1940

Threads
Well, I finally got the blades off, even with a 4' cheater pipe on the wrench along with penetrating oil & heat the nuts would not budge. I had to use a grinder with a 1/8" blade to cut the nuts along side the shaft without damaging the threads. Then used a chisel to open the nuts so I could remove them. Ordered new blades and shaft nuts along with a maintenance kit for the engine. Looks as though the oil had never been changed and the air filter was completely plugged. Also replaced the battery as it would not take a charge. I felt obligated to help my sister-in-law as she is a 80 year old widow. She couldn't find any dealers (don't have any local - a very small town) that would work on the mower that was not purchased from them. Hopefully it will now last a little longer without any major service. Thanks for the replies.

Curt

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Well, I finally got the blades off, even with a 4' cheater pipe on the wrench along with penetrating oil & heat the nuts would not budge. I had to use a grinder with a 1/8" blade to cut the nuts along side the shaft without damaging the threads. Then used a chisel to open the nuts so I could remove them. Ordered new blades and shaft nuts along with a maintenance kit for the engine. Looks as though the oil had never been changed and the air filter was completely plugged. Also replaced the battery as it would not take a charge. I felt obligated to help my sister-in-law as she is a 80 year old widow. She couldn't find any dealers (don't have any local - a very small town) that would work on the mower that was not purchased from them. Hopefully it will now last a little longer without any major service. Thanks for the replies.

Curt

Glad you got blade off. I had to cut a blade bolt just this week.
For really tight blade bolts I use PB Blaster, a breaker bar, cheater pipe, and wood to block the blade. Always use a 6 point socket over a 12 point.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Days like this is the reason that I purchased my high torque Dewalt impact a couple years ago.. My alternative actions include the use of the 39 inch long 3/4 breaker bar that I normally use to remove large high torque nuts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There are times even a 1300 ft-lb twin hammer impact has trouble getting things to separate. Partly because things have movement to offset the impacts. Otherwords the blade assembly can't be allow any movement. I got Turf Tiger that I have to use a 5 ft pull bar on get to loosen the blade bolt nuts. I look for anytime that bar to break. Now of these are the type that self tighten; unlike, the keyed MTD spindle shafts.

As for MTD flange nuts there have been a few times that I thought I was going them off too. But several were cross threaded on using impacts. That why I have to re-thread some spindle shafts.