Sufferin suckatash

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sazza frazzin razzin....... Honeywell 53000C air purifier. This darn thing is amazing. I love it. The Air and pre filters are high. but well worth it.
Or so I thought. I just spent $120 on new filters. I install them, turn it on and "POP." No smell, nothing is turning. It just stopped. The light was still on. But the fan wasn't turning.

So I thought I'd take it apart and maybe check out the motor, see if there was a short in something somewhere. But you can't take the darn thing apart. The top assemble isn't screwed together. The plastic parts slip together and lock, So when you pry on it, or try to force out, the plastic breaks.
And the way this snaps together, you can't remove the top to get to the fan and motor, without breaking the plastic that hold it together. Nor can you just break the slots and melt them together later, because there's no way to get a soldering iron in there. It would've been just as easy to have the top of this screwed down to the mid section, so you could access the fan and the motor.
But Noooooo, those .02 cent per screw was going put the cost of this up and extra .10 cents.

Stupid stupid stupid. I don't want to just throw something away that I could fix. (if it was just a motor). But they make it impossible.

Sorry for the rant. But I literally just spent $120 on new filters that came to the door not 1hr ago.

I don't understand what the pop was. Shouldn't there have been a burnt smell?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Duct tape, universal fixer.

mark abby

Threads
it MIGHT have a fuse inside, or the fan motor capacitor. I recently took apart a Honeywell dehumidifier and I had to locate those locking tabs to remove the cover. I used a screwdriver to release the tabs once i found them.

Once opened, you can tell if a capacitor is blown by a bulge on top or sides of it. A fuse would be an obvious find. I ended up tossing the dehumidifier because the freon some how leaked out. ( it was only like 2 years old and it was $400...lol) Be sure to short out the capacitor before touching it with an insulated screww driver across the terminals!

just my uneducated guess

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got to remember today's products are lousy when compared to only few years ago.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It makes no sense to connect something that harnesses the motor, without being able to access the motor. And the inserts that connect it all, aren't accessible either. You can't only see a few of them.

So I'm going with this one. And going to buy a few extra filters just in case this one NLA in a few years. Although I really like the round ones that suck air from all sides. The new Honeywell's have some pretty bad reviews.
One review stated that he has cats (like me) and that there's never any cat hair on the pre filter or filter. And a few complain of a burning smell. So I'm guessing honeywell is going bad.

Winix 5500-2 Air Cleaner with Plasma Wave Technology

1702762374416.png