Suddenly Won't Start - Battery Good

wanderer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1981 Lawn Boy Model #867AE. It worked fine at the beginning of the season and suddenly won't start. The battery and battery charger test out fine. The key is on, bail is back, I put gas on the plug but it is not firing and there is no clicking sound. This model has no pull cord so the battery start is the only option. Suggestions?

lewb

Threads
Will it crank? Or does it crank and will not fire? If its the second I would verify that you have spark. If not, could very well be the cdi. If it does not crank then I would guess its the solenoid (if separate) that is not engaging or the starter is bad, Either way you will probably have to replace the starter.

wanderer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will it crank? Or does it crank and will not fire? If its the second I would verify that you have spark. If not, could very well be the cdi. If it does not crank then I would guess its the solenoid (if separate) that is not engaging or the starter is bad, Either way you will probably have to replace the starter.

It does not crank. If I replace the CDI (if I can get one) why will the starter need to be replaced?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't purchase a CDI coil until you remove the starter and have it tested. On your model you must have the starter working properly before testing for spark.

lewb

Threads
It does not crank. If I replace the CDI (if I can get one) why will the starter need to be replaced?

Sounds like your issues is the starter as Rivets has explained. I highly doubt your cdi ignition is bad. You might need to go to radio shack and get some small gauge wire and alligator clips to make some power leads that you can hook to a car battery, pull the leads off the starter (there should be a 2 prong connector to un plug)and hook up to a good car battery, if nothing happens then your starter is toast more than likely. You can also use a battery charger.

wanderer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hooked up the starter with wire and clips to the car battery. The starter turned the motor over but not strong enough to start it. Does that mean the starter is OK and I should continue troubleshooting? What do I try next?

Thanks for all the suggestions

lewb

Threads
I would assume that your starter needs to be replaced. Also make sure motor is free, if you stuck a piston the starter would have a difficult time turning motor over. Pull blade brake with strap and see if you can move blade easily.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the starter and take it to a good small engine repair shop, to have it tested. I would recommend a Toro dealer, as they should have techs who are familiar with Lawn Boy mowers. Then you will have a good base to make a decision as to how to proceed.