Mower deck Stuck Bearing

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Big hammer, bench grinder, and a smooth shaft, boy you sure got a different idea then I do as to what is smooth. If it was my job and needed a bench grinder it would be going to the recycle pile and get a new shaft. If the shaft is that bad turn it in a metal lath if you want to save it. Everyone has there own way of doing things. Sounds to me you can do the job over in about a years time because you are doing very poor workman ship.

A lathe just to get a lip off a shaft, its a lawnmower not a spaceship.
」50 for a new shaft or a bit of time to grind or file then use emery to finish it off.
I know which is the quick and easier way. :wink:

cfmechanics

Threads
Big hammer, bench grinder, and a smooth shaft, boy you sure got a different idea then I do as to what is smooth. If it was my job and needed a bench grinder it would be going to the recycle pile and get a new shaft. If the shaft is that bad turn it in a metal lath if you want to save it. Everyone has there own way of doing things. Sounds to me you can do the job over in about a years time because you are doing very poor workman ship.
Steady. I am new to all this I am still learning. I am here to find out the best ways of doing things. Also it is only my hobby not job so I don't have all the equipment.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Steady. I am new to all this I am still learning. I am here to find out the best ways of doing things. Also it is only my hobby not job so I don't have all the equipment.

Well if you must use the bench grinder don't take off any more then you have to. stop to think this is a precision made shaft and everything must fit tight when you are done. If not replace the shaft or use JB weld and there is other products out there to tighen bearings and shafts. When you are all done just make sure you don't have any side play in anything. I know it can be hard with no equment to work with.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The bearing are a light press fit on to the shafts and housings. The proper way would be to use a press with adapters to fit the bearings. Seeing I don't have this in my shop I use a large hammer and brass rod to take it apart in a mechanics vice. Once I have everything apart I clean every thing with sand paper. To put it back together I use a hammer and the vice as a press where I can. I use sockets to push on so when installing the bearing I am pushing on the bearing races and not the bearing balls.
SandburRanch Quote: Why would a light press fit, bearing to shaft, be needed?

Waiting patiently for the answer.:laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
SandburRanch Quote: Why would a light press fit, bearing to shaft, be needed?

Waiting patiently for the answer.:laughing:

Personally its not my mower or problem put then as loose as a goose for all I care. If that is what you want do it. I am just telling what I would do in my shop. If the blade comes off I am sure I won't know it or care.

cfmechanics

Threads
Well if you must use the bench grinder don't take off any more then you have to. stop to think this is a precision made shaft and everything must fit tight when you are done. If not replace the shaft or use JB weld and there is other products out there to tighen bearings and shafts. When you are all done just make sure you don't have any side play in anything. I know it can be hard with no equment to work with.

Yes, I will be as precise as possible. I did look at replacing the shafts but when I got a price for them I soon changed my mind so I will have to make do with the original ones.

Mower manic

Threads
I'm not sure but I think that reyoldston is concerned about the pulley and it's fit, not so much the bearing. I believe he feels that there is a pulley that is postioned at the end of the shaft where the damage has occured.
I think he feels that this pulley is not going to function well if the shaft is not perfectly round.
I think that some confusion has got this thread a little off track.
Am I correct in this assertion....reynoldston?

cfmechanics

Threads
I'm not sure but I think that reyoldston is concerned about the pulley and it's fit, not so much the bearing. I believe he feels that there is a pulley that is postioned at the end of the shaft where the damage has occured.
I think he feels that this pulley is not going to function well if the shaft is not perfectly round.
I think that some confusion has got this thread a little off track.
Am I correct in this assertion....reynoldston?
Yes, that is what I am talking about. I understand everything thats been said but yeah your right it has got a bit confusing :laughing:

cfmechanics

Threads
Right everyone, I have just sanded down the shaft to make it even and smooth and still no luck with getting the bearing off. There is no lip for it to get stuck on now. Why is it still not coming off, I have spent 3 hours sanding it and I don't want to over do it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Right everyone, I have just sanded down the shaft to make it even and smooth and still no luck with getting the bearing off. There is no lip for it to get stuck on now. Why is it still not coming off, I have spent 3 hours sanding it and I don't want to over do it.

You can't stop now keep going. Too bad you can't use a press. Maybe a bigger hammer. What are you hitting on steel to steel? As for myself I use a large brass or aluminum rod. Are you working in a good heavy duty mechanics vice? Do you have a way to heat or cut these bearings? It is hard for me to understand what problems you are having because I have equipment to do this type of work and have done a lot of it. This would be just a small easy 1/2 hour job in my shop and it looks like you have spent days on it. In my shop it would of been a 5 dollar labor charge + parts per spindle. Wouldn't it be better to take there mower spindles to a shop some place and had them rebuilt by a skilled mechanic? It just looks like everybody is giving you different advice and you have nothing but a big mess and it is getting worse?? I got fed up when everyone was telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and I have been doing it all my working life. It just seem everybody thinks this is just a simple job and you don't need any more then a hammer and grinder. I am going to say you do it your way and I will do it mine.