Strange thing...walker

geggle

Threads
Went to start my 93 walker MTGHS today. Battery TOTALLY dead (very unusual). Tried to jump it. Mower attempted to start as soon as I touched jumpers (hot) to positive post. Same thing when I tried to charge battery. I disconnected positive leads on battery and charged the battery. When I went to connect the positive leads, mower tried to start again. Replaced ignition switch and checked all wiring ib control panel (good). Disconnected small Blue) lead to starter solenoid. Starter then did not engage, but could hear a click in engine like ignition was on (This happens as soon as I touch the positive lead to the battery (ignition switch is off).......any one have any Ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know you said you replaced the ignition switch, but did you replace. The starter solenoid? Sounds like the poles are froze in the start position, which will then bypass the ignition switch and spin the starter over.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Went to start my 93 walker MTGHS today. Battery TOTALLY dead (very unusual). Tried to jump it. Mower attempted to start as soon as I touched jumpers (hot) to positive post. Same thing when I tried to charge battery. I disconnected positive leads on battery and charged the battery. When I went to connect the positive leads, mower tried to start again. Replaced ignition switch and checked all wiring ib control panel (good). Disconnected small Blue) lead to starter solenoid. Starter then did not engage, but could hear a click in engine like ignition was on (This happens as soon as I touch the positive lead to the battery (ignition switch is off).......any one have any Ideas?

Take off the (B) wire on the ignition switch to see if you get that "click" which maybe is the fuel solenoid, if no "click" then also look into replacing the ignition switch & starter solenoid.

geggle

Threads
I replaced starter solenoid, and ignition switch. That solved the electrical problems. Then it had a carburation problem. (coincidence?). Anyway I finally sent it in to dealer and he rebuilt carb and fiddled with some other minor stuff. It runs fine now.....BUT! There is a niggly problem. When I get on a side-hill with the down side on the right; it willeventually lose power like it's starving for fuel. This does not happen on a "left down-side" side hill. Does this sound like a float problem? It reves right back up when I turn either up or down hill.

slammed

Threads
I replaced starter solenoid, and ignition switch. That solved the electrical problems. Then it had a carbonation problem. (coincidence?). Anyway I finally sent it in to dealer and he rebuilt carb and fiddled with some other minor stuff. It runs fine now.....BUT! There is a niggly problem. When I get on a side-hill with the down side on the right; it will eventually lose power like it's starving for fuel. This does not happen on a "left down-side" side hill. Does this sound like a float problem? It reves right back up when I turn either up or down hill.

You could have some problems with the fuel line, filter, pump, ect. it could be the float to but not likely.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My bet is the angle of the slope is too steep to get fuel from the tank to the carb, when the carb is on the upside of the slope. You never gave us model numbers of the engine, but if there is no fuel pump, I'll double my bet.

geggle

Threads
It's a kohler 20S 2007 replacement engine. I've replaced all fuel lines, all filters, and the fuel pump. It's not likely the angle is too steep. I've mowed the same slope with it for 3.5 years, and it never did it before now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The symptoms you are describing indicate a fuel starvation problem. Your carb is not getting enough fuel when cutting in one direction. Could something be blocking the fuel tank outlet? Maybe it is rolling around in the tank? Is your model number CV20S? Sorry to ask these questions, but I'm confused by your symptoms and what you have done so far.

geggle

Threads
That is correct CV20S. And the symptoms baffle me as well. All feul lines have been replaced. From Tank to carb. All filters replaced. Carb rebuilt. And it only starts to cut out when leaning to the right. Fuel tank absolutely full so even if tank filter did float a bit, it still would be in fuel. Like I said, This never was a issue BEFORE the recent problems (first starter relay burned out, then immediately the carb issue at the same time) I'm wondering if when they rebuilt the carb, somehow the float is shutting down the fuel when it leans to that side.......I'm also not aware of any "roll-over safety switch on Walkers which could be causing it. But I have disconnected the main "safety relay" so even if there is one, it should be non-functioning now. .......This "one-sided" problem really has me stumped

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It could be a float problem, I don't want to dismiss anything yet, but I doubt it. I would be checking two other things first. One, check the electrical lead, on the fuel shut off solenoid, from the carb back. What I am looking for is a crack in the insulation or a loose connection that is short out the solenoid when the engine is tipped in one direction. Two, I would install a clear plastic fuel filter between the pump and the carb. Any small one will work for this test, because it will be removed later. What I am looking for is whether there is a change in the fuel flow during different types of mowing situations. If you see a drop in the fuel flow when tipped to the right, I would suspect a pump issue. It there is no drop in fuel flow and no bad wiring or connections, I would be rebuilding the carb again.