Stopped pulling

jeffnang

Threads
Here we go again. Today, I thought I would give the mower a good test run. However, after about 45 min or so it started to loose power to the right. I continued to mow for abot 5 more min but it kept getting worse. now im stumped again. I am going to check it in the morning to see if it works when its cool.

jeffnang

Threads
Took my left pump off today and when I opened it up to check the piston pac it is obvious it has had a bearing failure. There is also metal shavings in it and the area the bearing sets in is pretty scarred. As I have mentioned earlier in this post, I am experiencing problems with both sides. whats my next move?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Jeff,
This doesn't sound very good!! I suspect that cross contamination has happened from the R/H pump failure. No doubt very frustrating for you.
You are probably looking at new pumps and wheel motors on both sides, and dissassembly and cleaning of the entire hydraulic system. Metal particles have a way of hiding in spots that a system flushing would not clear out.
This job will probably cost more than the machine is worth in proper working order, so you need to do a rough estimate and then decide what you want to do.
Mad Mackie in CT

jeffnang

Threads
Yeah, I am kind of worried about that also. When I cleaned out the wheel motors the right side was very tight and hard to turn while the left felt smooth and fairly easy. I gues I will start with this pump and see what happens.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The R/H wheel motor has a problem if it turned with difficulty when you flushed it.
There is no doubt in my mind that the entire hydraulic system is contaminated. With a common reservoir supplying both pumps and a common return back to the reservoir from both pumps there is no way of preventing cross contamination. I think that the return filters have bypass valves and when the filtering element gets plugged enough then it goes into bypass which passes unfiltered oil back to the reservoir.
As an aircraft mech I have replaced engines that had only a scavenge oil pump failure and the oil supply tank, oil cooler, thermostat valve assembly, oil shutoff valve, and all hoses had to be replaced just as if the engine had a major internal failure. The scavenge oil pump is used in a dry sump type engine to pump expended engine oil thru the oil cooler and back to the oil supply tank.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

jeffnang

Threads
Purchased new left side pump and had the right side pump checked out by a local dealer. Also had right side wheel motor checked and to my surprise the dealer said it looked fine. Removed and Had entire hydro system flushed. Going to put it all back together Monday.

Any hints on how to purge system, or do I just hook up hoses fill tank and fire it up.

Thanks for any advise.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would jack up the rear on the machine and put blocks under the frame behind the rear wheels.
The system is probably totally empty and I would fill the reservoir full, and start the engine and add oil as the reservoir empties. Release the parking brake and carefully cycle each direction lever as you monitor and add oil to the reservoir until the level stabilizes and the wheels turn and respond to the direction lever input.
Ask the dealer if they have any suggestions for refilling the system as my above mentioned method may not be the recommended way, these are just my thoughts.
Mad Mackie in CT

jeffnang

Threads
Ok, update timr. I have replaced both pumps and the right side wheel motor. All seems to be working ok, but feels a little weak on a hill. The looks like it has alot of air bubbles. also, I have a leak that I am haveing a hard time finding. Is it normal for the oil to look like that? Coukd the system be getting air and causing it to feel weak?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect that because of the way the pump and wheel motor units are designed that it will take a while to bleed the air out. Basically the pump circulates oil thru the wheel motor to varying degrees and direction, the reservoir provided a liquid level above the pumps and a place for the return oil to flow to thru the filter. You need to make sure that there are no leaks particularly in the pump suction lines to the reservoir. Have fun!!