Export thread

STIHL Ultra Oil in ECHO,s

Snapper101

Snapper101

Has anyone ever used Stihl Ultra 2 stroke oil in their Echo?. A picked up a 2.6 oz. bottle today because they were out of the Echo Red Armor oil I have been using. The dealer said I would be just as happy with the Stihl oil. And It,s cheaper. I normally buy it in the 1 gallon jug. I,ll give it a try.

exotion

exotion

It's all the same just use the correct mix

Snapper101

Snapper101

That,s what I figured, At least with the high end oil,s. The only thing I see different is the color. And the price. The Stihl oil is about 10 bucks a gallon cheaper.

Ric

Ric

That,s what I figured, At least with the high end oil,s. The only thing I see different is the color. And the price. The Stihl oil is about 10 bucks a gallon cheaper.

It's actually not the same. Echo is a universal 2-stroke oil and is manufactured exclusively for ECHO. It's a semi-synthetic blend of oil certified for use in all air-cooled, 2-stroke, outdoor power equipment engines, Stihl Ultra is a Full synthetic and a better oil than the Echo. Stihl's High Performance oil I believe is is there special blend oil and not the full synthetic.

Snapper101

Snapper101

It's actually not the same. Echo is a universal 2-stroke oil and is manufactured exclusively for ECHO. It's a semi-synthetic blend of oil certified for use in all air-cooled, 2-stroke, outdoor power equipment engines, Stihl Ultra is a Full synthetic and a better oil than the Echo. Stihl's High Performance oil I believe is is there special blend oil and not the full synthetic.

OH,, OK,, The dealer I useally deal with is a Echo and Stihl dealer. He said the Echo Red Armor oil I normally use is a full synthetic. But he thinks the Stihl Ultra is a notch or two better. And it was made by Castrol. And it was 10.00 a gallon cheaper than the Red Armor.

Ric

Ric

OH,, OK,, The dealer I useally deal with is a Echo and Stihl dealer. He said the Echo Red Armor oil I normally use is a full synthetic. But he thinks the Stihl Ultra is a notch or two better. And it was made by Castrol. And it was 10.00 a gallon cheaper than the Red Armor.

The Echo Red Armor oil is re-labeled Shindiawa Red Armor oil. It was Shindiawa oil originally I believe. Echo and Shindiawa are owned by the same company and made in the same place. There owned by the Yamabiko Corp which is a Japanese manufacturer of power tools formed with the September 2008 merger of the Kioritz and Shindaiwa corporations. If the oil is a synthetic oil it should say so on the label if not I would assume it's a blend.

Snapper101

Snapper101

You are very up on your stuff, Echo,s semi oil is called Echo Power Blend, The Red Armor is a full synthetic. At least that,s what the label says. I used to use the Echo Power Blend until my dealer had me try the Echo ( Shindiawa) Red Armor about a year ago. Now he,s telling me that he thinks the Stihl Ultra is even better. I don,t know why,, he,s making 10 dollars less on the Stihl oil. I got some anyways,, I hope my Echo,s like it.

Ric

Ric

You are very up on your stuff, Echo,s semi oil is called Echo Power Blend, The Red Armor is a full synthetic. At least that,s what the label says. I used to use the Echo Power Blend until my dealer had me try the Echo ( Shindiawa) Red Armor about a year ago. Now he,s telling me that he thinks the Stihl Ultra is even better. I don,t know why,, he,s making 10 dollars less on the Stihl oil. I got some anyways,, I hope my Echo,s like it.

Where did you find it on the label that it was synthetic??

I don't see anything listing the Echo Red Armor as Full Synthetic on my search (fwiw).

But do see the Stihl HP Ultra as Full Syn, + twice the price of Echo oils.

STIHL HP Ultra high-performance engine oil | STIHL | Stihl, Viking, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners, lawn mowers, trimmers

Ric

Ric

I don't see anything listing the Echo Red Armor as Full Synthetic on my search (fwiw).

But do see the Stihl HP Ultra as Full Syn, + twice the price of Echo oils.

STIHL HP Ultra high-performance engine oil | STIHL | Stihl, Viking, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners, lawn mowers, trimmers

I couldn't find anything on any of the sites I looked at either. I got blow-ups of the front label and I couldn't find anything about it being synthetic.

D

Dave1954

As long as its a 50-mix it will work, better or worse than any other brand??? try it and see is the only way.

Snapper101

Snapper101

I couldn't find anything on any of the sites I looked at either. I got blow-ups of the front label and I couldn't find anything about it being synthetic.

mmmm,,, I,ve been using it for about a year, I was certain the dealer told me it was a synthetic when I started using it. Yuh,, well,, now I,m going out to the shop and take a look at it myself. I,ll have to get back to ya on that one. In the mean time I,ll try that jug of Ultra and see how it go,s. If I don,t see any difference I,ll go back to using Echo,s Power Blend or the Lucas.

Snapper101- Be curioius what you find about Echo Red Armor..

As to the Stihl HP Ultra (Full Syn), I can't find it anywhere reasonably priced. On Amazon it is even isted as: "being Discontinued by MFGR ? " (which may be due to Amazon not getting a deal they would work with)..

exotion

exotion

The regular echo stuff works great and have had no problems with... Can't see an advantage to using anything more expensive or synthetic you won't get any extra power , even if you do it would be minuscule and not worth the extra money. You need to use the proper amount of oil for longevity of the machine.

Using the cheap oil I've seen increases carbon build up in the exhaust port. I'm talking off brand Wal-Mart special

Ric

Ric

Snapper101- Be curioius what you find about Echo Red Armor..

As to the Stihl HP Ultra (Full Syn), I can't find it anywhere reasonably priced. On Amazon it is even isted as: "being Discontinued by MFGR ? " (which may be due to Amazon not getting a deal they would work with)..

I think the last I purchase was like $62 a gallon for the Ultra. Stihl did discontinue there HP Super oil in the black container a while back. I'm going to the shop in the next couple of days to get oil and blades etc for next season so I'll get some info from them on the oil.

Ric

Ric

The regular echo stuff works great and have had no problems with... Can't see an advantage to using anything more expensive or synthetic you won't get any extra power , even if you do it would be minuscule and not worth the extra money. You need to use the proper amount of oil for longevity of the machine.

Using the cheap oil I've seen increases carbon build up in the exhaust port. I'm talking off brand Wal-Mart special

I wont use the Echo oil unless I absolutely have to, it doesn't work worth a crap in Stihl equipment at all, 2 stroke or 4 mix at least not for me. It just goops things up and they idle rougher, and they don't start as easy and when there running they smoke like crazy.

Called my local Dealer today & they double-checked & said the Echo Red Armor is a syn-Blend.. (fwiw)..

Since Aug when I got my new Echo Blower, I only have been using Echo Power X-Tend (syn-Blend) no issues, & my 7 yr old Troy-Bilt string trimmer is running smoother ..

Don't currently have any Stihl equipment..

PS: I never use corn-gas in any of my mow equipment.. Only 100% real deal..

Snapper101

Snapper101

I,m glad were finally getting this oil thing figured out. Your right,, Echo,s Power Blend and Red Armor are Semi Synthetic, the Red Armor says it will keep gas good for up to 2 years ( that,s strechin it I,d say) Both carry the FD rating, which is the highest you can get. The Stihl Ultra is the Full synthetic. The reg. orange bottle stuff is regular mineral base with a gas stab. Both Stihl,s oils are a FB rating. I have some Stihl equipment and have used all of the mentioned oils, I have had good luck with all of them. Over the years I,ve probably used more Echo Power Blend and Lucas the most of all. I guess to sum it all up, some people like mustard and some like ketchup. Either one will work.

Snapper101

Snapper101

I found this oil rating chart in case anyone wanted to figure out what all those letters meant.

Attachments

Snapper101- Yep, good to know these things. Thanks for posting the rating chart !!

I have a 5 pack left of Echo Power Blend, when I use a bottle to make 1 gallon, I also add 1 oz of Seafoam* which is a great cleaner & stabilizer.

When I run out of the Power Blend, I'm gonna switch to the Red Armor..

6 pack of Echo Power-Blend is $8.99

6 pack of Red Armor is $ 10.99

but a 6 pack of Stihl HP Ultra is $23. (lowest cost I could find anyhow)..

Snapper101

Snapper101

Snapper101- Yep, good to know these things. Thanks for posting the rating chart !!

I have a 5 pack left of Echo Power Blend, when I use a bottle to make 1 gallon, I also add 1 oz of Seafoam* which is a great cleaner & stabilizer.

Gee Wiz,, I thought I was the only one that used Seafoam in a 2 stroke. I,ve always added to a motor when it,s been sitting around for a while. As far as Red Armor goes I broke my new blower in on Red Armor. It,s only a couple bucks more than the Power Blend and a whole lot cheaper than the Ultra.

Ric

Ric

Gee Wiz,, I thought I was the only one that used Seafoam in a 2 stroke. I,ve always added to a motor when it,s been sitting around for a while. As far as Red Armor goes I broke my new blower in on Red Armor. It,s only a couple bucks more than the Power Blend and a whole lot cheaper than the Ultra.

Actually your Red Amor oil you are buying is costing you more to use than the Stihl oil. As far as using Seafoam and other additives in 2 stroke oil, I think that's a waste of money because most all the 2 stoke oil already has all the additives in that are needed.

exotion

exotion

Take a shot glass of petrol and a shot glass of seafoam light them on fire. Now see why you shouldn't add seafoam to your petrol

Actually your Red Amor oil you are buying is costing you more to use than the Stihl oil. As far as using Seafoam and other additives in 2 stroke oil, I think that's a waste of money because most all the 2 stoke oil already has all the additives in that are needed.

How is that even possible at the prices I posted ?

As to the use of Seafoam*, well everyone has their own way.. My 2 strokes use maybe 1.5 gal of gas a year, in total..

Ric

Ric

How is that even possible at the prices I posted ?

As to the use of Seafoam*, well everyone has their own way.. My 2 strokes use maybe 1.5 gal of gas a year, in total..

It is possible but it's not practical for you with the amount of oil your using. It's basically costing you $2.00 a gallon for your Red Armor. It cost me like $1.25 a gallon using the Stihl Ultra. Buy 2 stroke oil by the six pack is the most expensive way you can buy oil. Buying it buy the Gallon cuts the cost almost in half.

Good point, but being a 6 pack lasts me almost 4 yrs (on average), I'll continue wasting money...:laughing:

Ric

Ric

Good point, but being a 6 pack lasts me almost 4 yrs (on average), I'll continue wasting money...:laughing:

Yeah, everyone has a practical way of buying oil for there needs. It's practical for me to buy the stuff by the Gallon. I'll go through about 3 gallons of the Stihl oil in a season so buying by the gallon saves me a lot of money. I guess it all depends on how much equipment a person runs.

3 gals a season !!! Yeoww !!! I can understand the BIG savings you get now. Very Logical..

I'm using my trimmer even less now with the Z, since I can get into a lot of areas much closer than my previous GT. But I use my blower more cleaning up the new Z.. :laughing:

Ric

Ric

3 gals a season !!! Yeoww !!! I can understand the BIG savings you get now. Very Logical..

I'm using my trimmer even less now with the Z, since I can get into a lot of areas much closer than my previous GT. But I use my blower more cleaning up the new Z.. :laughing:

Yeah you figure 3 gallons of oil equal 150 gallons of gas and that's just for the two stroke stuff. When start my week in season I go to the Gas station I fill 7 two and a half gallon cans for my mix and 3 five gallon cans for the mowers, plus mowers and I have a small business. Buying in bulk can save you a lot of money.

exotion

exotion

That's pretty typical per mow crew. I used 2.75 gallons this year and 2 gallons last year and I'm only one now truck. My old company would buy a case of 1 qt bottles every other month and that was for 3 now trucks 2 prune/landscape trucks 1 arsonist 1 spray truck 1 sprinkler truck

bt3

bt3

I've had superior luck with "Royal Purple" 2 stroke Synthetic Oil. Because I can't get to my Stihl Dealer easily, I have ordered Royal Purple from Amazon. I realize they have Stihl and Echo oil too, but I liked the price on Royal Purple for a quart bottle. Also use it in my LawnBoy at 32:1.

And, lately, I have taken to only running Stihl "MotoMix" in my saw. This is their pre-mixed canned fuel. It purportedly has a 2 year shelf/machine life of 24 months AFTER opening. It has no ethanol or other additives, has a high Octane rating, and is obviously pre-mixed at 50:1 for you with high quality Stihl 2 stroke. This way I don't have to goof around or worry about running my saw dry between uses if it will sit for a while.

I realize that if you are a professional that is blowing through a lot of mixed fuel, you can not afford any pre-mixed fuels in the long term, but for a home owner, it's amazing stuff. My saw truly runs better with MotoMix. And it's not my imagination.

exotion

exotion

I've had superior luck with "Royal Purple" 2 stroke Synthetic Oil. Because I can't get to my Stihl Dealer easily, I have ordered Royal Purple from Amazon. I realize they have Stihl and Echo oil too, but I liked the price on Royal Purple for a quart bottle. Also use it in my LawnBoy at 32:1.

And, lately, I have taken to only running Stihl "MotoMix" in my saw. This is their pre-mixed canned fuel. It purportedly has a 2 year shelf/machine life of 24 months AFTER opening. It has no ethanol or other additives, has a high Octane rating, and is obviously pre-mixed at 50:1 for you with high quality Stihl 2 stroke. This way I don't have to goof around or worry about running my saw dry between uses if it will sit for a while.

I realize that if you are a professional that is blowing through a lot of mixed fuel, you can not afford any pre-mixed fuels in the long term, but for a home owner, it's amazing stuff. My saw truly runs better with MotoMix. And it's not my imagination.

I've sold all my family on those premix. As a homeowner you would be dumb to not use it.

Here we still have easy access to 100% real gas, both regular & hi-test.. So I do my own mixing.

Ric- Yes, that is a lot of gas cans to get started for the season. That would be very worth while in savings.

exotion- Quite a lot for running a big biz.. I see the commercial guys going & their trucks & trailers loaded w/about everything.

I'm just taking care of my place. Which I enjoy.

Ric

Ric

Here we still have easy access to 100% real gas, both regular & hi-test.. So I do my own mixing.

Ric- Yes, that is a lot of gas cans to get started for the season. That would be very worth while in savings.

exotion- Quite a lot for running a big biz.. I see the commercial guys going & their trucks & trailers loaded w/about everything.

I'm just taking care of my place. Which I enjoy.

Taking care of my own place? that's funny. I run 70 plus lawns weekly and at the end of the week guess whose lawn looks the worse, it's mine. I never get to do my lawn during season. I'm lucky if I get to my lawn once a month.

Carscw

Carscw

I also buy by the gallon. About 3 gallons a year.
I fill up every morning.

One five gallon can of gas for the mowers and top the mowers off.

2 gallons of mix.

Main reason is so I can stop for coffee.

exotion

exotion

Taking care of my own place? that's funny. I run 70 plus lawns weekly and at the end of the week guess whose lawn looks the worse, it's mine. I never get to do my lawn during season. I'm lucky if I get to my lawn once a month.

Lol ya I don't advertise my lawn and park in back ... Usually pay the neighbor kid to do mine

Ric

Ric

Lol ya I don't advertise my lawn and park in back ... Usually pay the neighbor kid to do mine

LOL I thought about hiring another company to do mine

Carscw

Carscw

I try and not let mine go to long.
Most times I cut it when I change blades.

Snapper101

Snapper101

bt3,, I love your avatar, two of the finest push mowers to ever roll across a Lawn. I have never used the Royal Purple before but I know some people have and really like it. If I can,t find my reg. stuff I use Lucas oil. I go through just over a gallon a season, it depends on how much I help my son out. He has just over a 100 customers now and if it rains a few days in a row he,ll get behind and I,ll jump in and help him out. And I like using my stuff and my fuel.

Boobala

Boobala

Want to end your 2cycle eng. oil/mix problems , headaches ???? Visit ( opti2-4.com ) Ive used this product for about 10 years now , NEVER a problem, ALL 2cycle engines no matter what theier mix ratio, can use this ALMOST 100: 1 ratio oil without a problem , simple 1.2 ounces per gallon of gas.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I'll have to look into that motomix. High octane and a 2 year shelf life would be awesome.

Ric

Ric

I'll have to look into that motomix. High octane and a 2 year shelf life would be awesome.

Why would anyone use that premix stuff at $8.00 a qt. is beyond me. You can buy the Stihl HP Ultra and Premium 92/93 octane gas without ethanol and mix your own for less than half that cost and it's the same thing.

exotion

exotion

Why would anyone use that premix stuff at $8.00 a qt. is beyond me. You can buy the Stihl HP Ultra and Premium 92/93 octane gas without ethanol and mix your own for less than half that cost and it's the same thing.

For home owners it's easy

Carscw

Carscw

For home owners it's easy

No it's being lazy and a waste of money.

to be the best you have to beat the best

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I'll admit it's lazy, and after seeing the price I think I'll pass. I'm happy with my amsoil saber, just wish non-ethanol fuel was available here. I suppose racing fuel still has ethanol in it??

Carscw

Carscw

I'll admit it's lazy, and after seeing the price I think I'll pass. I'm happy with my amsoil saber, just wish non-ethanol fuel was available here. I suppose racing fuel still has ethanol in it??

No ethanol in racing fuel.
But still only has a shelf life of only a couple weeks.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Darn. Ok.

Mystik2stroke

Mystik2stroke

Stihl ultra oil is an ash-less ester base oil, as is the Echo RedArmor. Both are great oils, and you can use either in any 2 cycle engine period, snowthrower, trimmer, outboard motor, pwc, saws, etc...

Echo redarmor/stihl ultra have a PEA detergent that actually removes carbon from older used engines and helps restore lost performance, also the base oil has some cleaning functions.

Both are very similar to this oil:
(developed for military)
Outboard Lubricants | Quicksilver Products

scoll down to "Rejuvinate" section

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

image-4266922178.jpg

Ok I'm using this stuff from now on. Yes it's pricy and you're all probably typing away about how it's a waste of money but I only go thru maybe 2 gallons of gas and a gallon of mix per season. Engineered 92-octane, full synthetic oil in mix, ethanol-free. Comes in 40:1 too. $6 for mix $23 for gas. 5 year shelf life unopened and 2 year after opened. Doesn't even smell like fuel from the pump.