Stihl MS-251 Idling issues

DR43260

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a Stihl MS-251, and it worked great for the first couple days of use, but now it's idling very hard on startup and the chain is spinning when no throttle is applied. When I do apply throttle, the engine dies. I've only filled it up once, so i thought it may be the fuel mixture, but it ran fine for about 20-30 minutes after I filled it. I looked down after a cut and saw the blade was still spinning after I let off the throttle. I've tried adjusting the LA screw on the carburetor but it doesn't seem to change anything. It's a new saw so the clutch springs aren't the issue (I also checked them just in case). I have a 2 gallon gas can that was filled to the 2 gallon marker, and i added 2 of those stihl brand oil mix bottles (2.6 ounces) which should get me close to 50:1. Not sure what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If new and under warranty I would take it back to the dealer and let them straighten it out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As IL said let the dealer look at it. New machines usually are under warranty until the user start the mess with it.

DR43260

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good point. I'll just do that then. I wanted to solve the problem myself haha but I might as well just take it in. Thanks for the replies.