Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw: Starter Rope Dilemma

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Of the thousands of people who read my posts, very few have replied with displeasure to the way I answer. I'm not changing something that doesn't need changing. To those who don't like my posts, there is a control button you can use called "Ignor" which you can and you won't see me anymore. Will continue to call out posts that I feel could be unsafe, disrespect those I respect, or post things that will cost people more money than they should pay. Wannabes will always receive my wrath. To those that don't like it, I think my signature tells everyone who I am and what they can do with my posts.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And I will continue to call you out every time you disrespect some one for no reason. You and your little group of clones that mess each other talking about the rest of us assume you know better than the rest if us

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cowboy up and get over it

GDINUNZIO

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same issue with the same saw. My owners manual blows. It shows nothing on how to remove and repair the pull cord. I've taken the saw apart and gotten down to where I can access the slot the pull cord goes onto but I can't get the remaining piece of cord removed. Can I get a suggestion there? Also I assume it would be beneficial to buy a new pull cord from my Stihl dealer so I have correct length and diameter cord.

LoCo86

Threads
I am having the same issue with the same saw. My owners manual blows. It shows nothing on how to remove and repair the pull cord. I've taken the saw apart and gotten down to where I can access the slot the pull cord goes onto but I can't get the remaining piece of cord removed. Can I get a suggestion there? Also I assume it would be beneficial to buy a new pull cord from my Stihl dealer so I have correct length and diameter cord.

If you do decide to buy starter rope from Stihl make sure you go ahead and buy more than what you need. Around double would be about right. It goes for $2 a foot. That way if you have this problem again with either the same saw or another one you will have some spare as to eliminate down time.

gabytoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same problem replacing the cord. Unfortunately, I too only had the owners manual and the DVD which did not help, but I gave it a try anyway, since I have replaced other starter ropes before in other pieces of equipment. However, my recoil spring popped out and I was totally unable to find information on that subject (except statements that told me to be careful when removing the spindle so the recoil spring doesn't pop out)
I decided to call the customer service number at Stihl and got a live person right off the bat, who was very helpful and reassured me that it was possible, although very difficult, to rewind the spring back into place. It took a long time but I finally did it. I have the new cord in place and everything put back, but I don't understand how to "tension the spring" or "cord". The customer service fella explained it during my second phone call to him but it was too many steps for me to remember and I am embarrassed to call a third time. I did call a third time, and still do not understand the instructions. Can anyone help?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is very easy to do. Now if I knew how to tell you how to do it. Ok on the spool that holds the rope there is a notch on the outer edge. Line it up with the hole on the cover that the rope foes threw. Use a screwdriver and pull the rope out so you can hook it into the notch. Pull all the rope out. Now hold the rope and the spool and turn it counterclockwise about 6 times. Line the notch back up with the hole and pull the rope back threw the hole. Remember to hold the spool while you do this. Not sure this helps