Stihl KM130R dies when choke open

actrak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a KM130R that starts fine but as soon as I turn the open the choke the engine dies (I assume not enough gas/Too much air). So I purchased a ZAMA RB-162 carb kit an rebuilt the carb but it still dies. Any ideas on what might be the issue? The tool has been barely used. I run only non-ethanol premium gas in it and run it dry in the fall. There was a little kindney bean aluminum cover that cam in the kit which I did not touch as the original one looked well glued in.

Thanks

James

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is dieing because it is not getting enough fuel.
So there is a fuel filter, a fuel tank vent , hoses and the connection between the carb & the engine, all high on the suspect list.
Then there is the question of weather you got the hoses on the right way round.

actrak

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is dieing because it is not getting enough fuel.
So there is a fuel filter, a fuel tank vent , hoses and the connection between the carb & the engine, all high on the suspect list.
Then there is the question of weather you got the hoses on the right way round.

I'll check it all again but I was pretty thorough. I didn't check the filter and believe that the vent is part of the Air Filter Box. Anyway thanks for the tips.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you adjusted the high and low mixture screws?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I first started in this business I thought I was King Sheit because I could pull down , clean & reassemble a cube carb in no time flat.
Thus whenever a hand held came in, that is exactly what I did and boy did some of them cause me grief .
When picking up my parts order, the sales rep asked me why I was using so many rebuild kits when my predecessor rarely ever bought one.

So now I have 3 pressure gauges , a brake bleeder a substitute tank with a known good filter, and rarely ever touch a carb other than to adjust it
OTOH I do replace a lot of fuel filters , tank seals, tank caps & hoses.
They go out the door a lot faster & I even make a profit on some of them now days.
I just did a crankcase seal job on a Stihl because the customer said the Stihl shop said they needed replacing.
When doing the reassembly I found the real problem, the impulse line had split, a 5 minute $ 10 fix if I had taken the time to properly diagnose the saw.