Stihl FS80 will not start

kbar_co

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a newer generation FS80 that refuses to start. Since replacing the spark plug and splashing gas into the carb didn't yield even a temporary fire and the spark seemed week, I replaced the coil module. Still no joy. In addition to replacing the module, I've replaced the spark plug (again); torn the carb apart, cleaned and reassembled it; removed and cleaned the exhaust/muffler; verified the on/off switch is working.
While the carb and exhaust were off, I checked out the piston/rings, all that looks great.

(Background, it quit during my last trimming of the season last fall. I was using it, turned it off and it wouldn't re-start at that time. Figuring it was the spark plug, I set it aside until now.

I'm really stumped that I can't even get it to fire knowing there is spark and splash of fuel in the chamber. I went as far as to hit it with a couple shots of starting fluid.
I'd appreciate any words of wisdom you all could share.
Thanks!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the kill wire from the coil and try it.

kbar_co

Forum Newbie
Threads
Keep at it, it does seem to be spark from what you are saying, take a look at this video.
https://youtu.be/Kup8CYJG6Gk

Thanks, EngineMan. Great video. It confirmed (in my mind, at least) that I seemed to have performed the replacement correctly. I'm still on the spark theme,... are you aware of any way the timing could be out of whack? And if so, how to check, what to do about it? I'd have that that would all be controlled within the module that I replaced.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you using Stihl 2-cycle oil & high test gas? If not give it a try. Also check air & fuel filters for replacement.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only check for timing is the flywheel key, so take look at that to see if it has moved, if so replace it.