Stihl FC 110 Edger problem. FC110 4 MIX

JBgreencontrol

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey guys. Just picked up a used, great cosmetic condition STIHL FC 110 Straight shaft. it is a 4mix engine. Before purchasing it i ran it an it ran great. First time going to use it started up right away idled great, ran for a while at WOT no problem. Started edging got about 10-15 feet down and it starting bogging and dyeing down and wanted to shut off if i held the gas down. Let go of gas and idled fine again. Again gave it gas wined up to WOT then started bogging again. So had to put it away and finish the jobs with my reliable Kwasaki edger. Took it home sprayed some carb cleaner in it, it sounded to run better but went to go edge and it was giving me the same problem. Any idea of what can be my problem.

I always liked the stihls. Have two BP blowers (BR380 and a BR 420 Mag) run great, never gave me a problem. I wanted to upgrade all handhelds to stihls an im getting this problem now.
Any ideas of what i can do would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Poor acceleration

Idle jet too lean....... Back off low speed screw slightly.
Main jet too lean......Back off high speed screw slightly.
Inlet control lever too low (relative to design position)......Set inlet control lever flush with upper face of housing or bottom of metering chamber.
Inlet needle sticking to valve seat....... Remove inlet needle and clean valve seat.
Connecting bore to atmosphere blocked......Clean bore.
Diaphragm gasket leaking...... Fit new diaphragm gasket.
Metering diaphragm damaged or shrunk.........Fit new metering diaphragm.

Engine speed drops quickly under load low power.

Air filter plugged......... Clean air filter.
Tank vent faulty.......... Clean the tank vent, replace if necessary.
Leak in fuel line between tank and fuel pump........Seal or renew connections and fuel line.
Pump diaphragm damaged or fatigued..........Fit new pump diaphragm.
Main jet bores or ports blocked.......... Clean bores and ports.
Fuel pickup body dirty....... Fit new pickup body.
Fuel strainers dirty........... Clean fuel strainers.

Engine does not deliver full power or runs erratically.

Secondary air seepage through faulty gaskets on spacer flange.......Install new gaskets.
Piston rings worn or broken......... Install new piston rings
Muffler / spark arresting screen carbonized.......Clean muffler (inlet and exhaust openings), replace
spark arresting screen (if fitted)
Air filter element dirty.......... Fit new air filter element
Fuel / impulse line kinked or cracked...........Fit new lines or position without kinks.
Pump diaphragm torn.......... Install new pump diaphragm
Decompression lever sticking........ Install new cam gear

xp14629

Threads
If it is a 4 mix, have u had the break-in valve adjustment done? Quick and simple to do. Next low power problem is generally if the engine is worn out the camshaft cover dowl pin locating hole tends to be enlongated.

JBgreencontrol

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Engineman. i will go down that list to see if i can find the problem..

xp14629. What is that break in adjustment? It does not look to used to me so I dont know if it can be worn out like that.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
hey guys. Just picked up a used, great cosmetic condition STIHL FC 110 Straight shaft. it is a 4mix engine. Before purchasing it i ran it an it ran great. First time going to use it started up right away idled great, ran for a while at WOT no problem. Started edging got about 10-15 feet down and it starting bogging and dyeing down and wanted to shut off if i held the gas down. Let go of gas and idled fine again. Again gave it gas wined up to WOT then started bogging again. So had to put it away and finish the jobs with my reliable Kwasaki edger. Took it home sprayed some carb cleaner in it, it sounded to run better but went to go edge and it was giving me the same problem. Any idea of what can be my problem.

I always liked the stihls. Have two BP blowers (BR380 and a BR 420 Mag) run great, never gave me a problem. I wanted to upgrade all handhelds to stihls an im getting this problem now.
Any ideas of what i can do would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

If your interested in tuning the engine the settings are as follows, turn both the adjusting screws counterclockwise as far as the stop. (H&L) Turn the High Speed screw (H)3/4 of a turn open the same with the low Speed (L) Start the engine, warm it up Then adjust the Idle screw (LA) so that the cutting blade doesn't rotate. Check the spark arresting screen in the muffler and make sure it's not plug or dirty also make sure the Air filter and gas filter in the tank are clean.